PDA

View Full Version : Better Choice: 250 AI or standard 257 Roberts OR 257 AI in a short action ?

AROKHUNTER
01-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Okay, I'm brainstorming for another future project. I would appreciate any and all input as far as COAL issues, feeding issues in either stagger feeds or center feeds, velocities and barrel lengths, accuracy issues, and any REAL numbers for ballistics that anyone has experience with in ANY of these chamberings.

I have both a stagger feed and a centerfeeds action available right now. I am currently trying to sell the stagger feed, but if it will work with the chamber that I choose, I may keep it and use it. So feeding issues are as important as everything else. Barrel length will NOT be over 22" and I would really like to go 20", but 22" will work. 80 grain-100 grain pills will be on the menu for this rifle. I will be hand loading for the rifle.

If I mssed something, please feel free to throw it in there. Thanks in advance.

stomp442
01-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Why such a short barrel for hot rod cartridges? I pick the 250AI just because it will do pretty much anything the others will a little more efficiently. You shouldn't have feeding issues at all but the center feeds are probably the best bet.

bootsmcguire
01-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Why such a short barrel for hot rod cartridges? I pick the 250AI just because it will do pretty much anything the others will a little more efficiently. You shouldn't have feeding issues at all but the center feeds are probably the best bet.

+1.

AROKHUNTER
01-07-2015, 04:21 PM
The short barrel is a combination of preferences. I don't like anything over 22" barrels unless it's a magnum due to the variety of places I hunt. Also, I'm wanting to set this up so my daughter can use it. A 22" barrel is max length for her to handle and balance good for her. I already have a heavy barrel 25-284 on the project list, so I'm gonna try to set up something my daughter can use with ease.

bootsmcguire
01-07-2015, 04:40 PM
250AI all the way. Mine is a 16" varmint barrel and it is nice and handy.

AROKHUNTER
01-07-2015, 06:24 PM
250AI all the way. Mine is a 16" varmint barrel and it is nice and handy.

bootsmcguire
Is yours a stagger feed or a centerfeeds action? Thanks.

bootsmcguire
01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Its on a stagger feed. I prefer centerfeed but I had this stagger feed so on it went and it works and feeds fine. I've run some 120's thru it seated way out and had plenty of room in the mag.

AROKHUNTER
01-08-2015, 03:09 AM
Its on a stagger feed. I prefer centerfeed but I had this stagger feed so on it went and it works and feeds fine. I've run some 120's thru it seated way out and had plenty of room in the mag.

That sounds good. I appreciate the info.