PDA

View Full Version : My quest for accuracy

Pages : [1] 2

Idaho
01-06-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm learning a LOT about long guns. Did not know that any given gun will shoot to different points of impact with different ammo. I was naive enough to believe that if I put the crosshairs on target and maintained constant trigger pull that the bullet was going where I aimed it. My Savage model 10 .223 has taught me otherwise.

It was frustrating because I could not get good groups and I was finding that sighting in with FMJ and hunting with ballistic tips of the same bullet weight was no recipe for success. I educated two coyotes and have not been back since until I get this sorted out.

My quest led me through several different bullet manufacturers and varying bullet weights and styles. I started shooting at 2 x 3 foot pieces of paper with crosses drawn on them for aiming points because it was iffy that the next load would even hit an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper. I kept those targets with notes as to which bullets made which groups and sat down at the kitchen table with a set of calipers one day to collect some data. To my surprise I found 40 Gr ballistic tips gave a 0.6 inch group and a 55 gr FMJ gave me a 0.79 inch group. I bought a Dillon 550 reloader and a set of Lee dies and went to work.

I picked up some H335 powder for it's ability to meter accurately and because others I've talked to have had good luck with that powder. (had to start somewhere) Savage told me that they test fire their rifles for 1 1/2 inch groups with 69 gr match ammo so I bought a box of Barnes 69 Gr Matchburners. I got one group at 0.6 inches with a reduced load and another at 0.91 inches near published max.

Reloads with 55 gr Nosler ballistic tips has so far been all over the place. Groups over 2 and three inches!

I suspect that some of my issues may be different kinds of brass. I've dumped all of my once fired, albeit from different manufacturers, brass into one bucket and processed them for reloading. So, there is nothing consistent from one cartridge to another of case capacity, wall thickness, etc. I've also used BR primers which are pretty hot from what I've been told. My last trip to the range I ran out of the BR primers and used some Winchester small rifle primers and it seemed that the groups tightened a bit. More range time will tell.

When I was a kid I learned to shoot with a 22 that had, and still has, a hair trigger. That sucker is accurate. I don't like the accu-trigger on my .223 so I've ordered a Rifle Basix SAV-1. That is the only aftermarket that I can find that will fit the Savage model 10 with a lower bolt release. I've also ordered three hundred LC processed cases to try to get some consistency from shot to shot.

I will continue to try different bullet weights and powder charges until I get the accuracy that I'm looking for. I basically want to stack holes and am convinced that the rifle is capable of better groups than I've seen so far. It is my intention to squeeze out as much as I can in reduced groups before I go to a gunsmith for glass and pillar bedding.

I don't want to educate any more coyotes but I do want to have fun. :(

JTCrl
01-06-2015, 09:35 PM
You're on the right track. Eliminating variables is a big part of making small groups.

Read. Read. Read.

Shooting websites (like this one), reloading manuals, and various other shooting publications will give you ideas. You then need to test those ideas to find what works for you.

homefrontsniper
01-06-2015, 09:40 PM
If it's a 9 twist 69 gr smk & some varget/// 50gr, 55gr.hornady v max & some AR COMP// lapue brass or some 8208 xbr powder. 2.2650 coal.

Idaho
01-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Words of encouragement are appreciated. I've read everything I can find on the internet and a couple of old reloading manuals that I have.

Powder has been hard to find although I did find one store about 35 miles away that seems to have a good selection. My next pound will probably be the Varget.

Yes, it is a 1-9 twist barrel.

At one point I even tried to lengthen the stock with a spacer that I made. One trip to the range told me that was a loser so I dumped it.

Jamie
01-06-2015, 11:24 PM
I suspect that some of my issues may be different kinds of brass. I've dumped all of my once fired, albeit from different manufacturers, brass into one bucket and processed them for reloading. So, there is nothing consistent from one cartridge to another of case capacity, wall thickness, etc. I've also used BR primers which are pretty hot from what I've been told. My last trip to the range I ran out of the BR primers and used some Winchester small rifle primers and it seemed that the groups tightened a bit. More range time will tell. :(

That would be a very good assumption. Sorting your brass will help eliminate fliers in some groups and flat out shrink others.

GaCop
01-10-2015, 08:33 AM
When loading for pin point accuracy, CONSISTENCY is the game. I segregate all my brass by manufacturer and then segregate them by grain weight. I deburr flash holes and recut primer pockets to make them all uniform in depth. My bullets are measured from base to ogive and segregated by length. If I'm REALLY looking for the smallest group possible in a bolt action, I weigh my bullets too.

js223
01-10-2015, 09:25 AM
The load that Savage mentioned (69gr) was probably Federal Gold Medal Match. I say that because I saw a test target from the factory with a 308 and it was done with Federal Gold Medal Match 168.

Idaho
01-10-2015, 06:36 PM
You are probably right js. I was surprised how slow the match ammo ran through the chrono though. Right now I'm waiting on the brass and bullets that I ordered as well as the new trigger. I will shoot again when I get the new trigger installed and get my hands on the new components to work up some loads.

Today I sorted out my brass. I paid attention to the last batch that I loaded up and sure enough, it was a mix of several different kinds of brass. Hopefully that has contributed to my groups being larger than I want. Time will tell soon enough.

GaCop
01-23-2015, 10:46 AM
That would be a very good assumption. Sorting your brass will help eliminate fliers in some groups and flat out shrink others. +1 to that statement!

GaCop
01-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Please keep us posted on your progress.

js223
01-24-2015, 06:48 AM
I noticed that you said you bought a Dillon 550. In my opinion, progressive presses are meant for high volume plinking ammo production, not for precision. Since you are trying for the best accuracy that your rifle can produce, I think that you'd be better off loading in single stage mode and weighing your individual powder charges. It's the consistency thing that was previously mentioned by GaCop.

js223
01-24-2015, 06:50 AM
I was surprised how slow the match ammo ran through the chrono though.
Which match ammo was slow and by how much? I ran some Federal GMM 69s over the chrono and velocity was 2927fps in the factory 26" barrel. Box said 3000fps at the time, I noticed the other day when looking on their site for info on the 80gr load (from another thread) that they now advertise the 69 as 2950fps.

Idaho
03-03-2015, 11:10 PM
Latest update. I bought a bunch of LC brass and cleaned out the primer pockets and reloaded with Varget. Got a little better results but still not what I want. So, I had a gunsmith bed the action and then I went to the range. Pretty much the same results. Tonight I took a dremel tool to the stock and floated the tang. Tomorrow I'm headed to the range again to see if that improves anything. I will just use factory ammo tomorrow and give time for the barrel to cool between shots. We will see.

ssv1761982
03-04-2015, 09:42 AM
You need to quit jumping around so much. Now that you have the LC brass get out the H335 and some of the 50 or 55gr bullets. Make up some test loads varying the power charge by .3 to .5 gr. Keep each group separate, write on each shell with a sharpie what the exact load is. For example - 25.6 gr H335, 50 VMAX, 2.283 oal, Rem BR primer. Now pick a nice day and go to the range and shoot groups. Make sure the rifle is on the bags the same each shot. Hold the rifle exactly the same each time.

I found H335 works better with under 55gr bullets. H4895 and Varget for 69gr.

mikgarus
03-04-2015, 10:37 AM
try this:
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Idaho
03-04-2015, 11:31 PM
ssv, you have a good point. Although I loaded up a few rounds tonight to try at the range tomorrow with Varget before I read your post. Not to worry though, I have plenty of H335 and will get back to it.
mikgarus, I appreciate the OCW article and will study it closer to see if I can put it to use with my rifle.

So, another update. I grabbed a box of factory loaded Remington 55gr FMJ ammo to test my rifle. Could not hold a group to save my soul! Shots would go anywhere they wanted. High, low, left, right. Unbelievable. As I was putting empty brass back in the box I noticed the the necks of several had small splits at even points around the neck. I pulled a few live rounds and looked and them and found that several had DEEP crimps on the bullets. At least one was deep enough that it deformed the bullet! No way that stuff was going to shoot straight. So, once again accuracy has elluded me.

This afternoon I reloaded 15 rounds with the LC brass, and Varget charges of 25, 24 and 23 grains behind Nosler 55gr balistic tips. I also loaded up 10 rounds of 23 grains behind Barnes 69gr boat tail match kings. Tomorrow I'm headed back to the range with these latest handloads to see what happens.

Idaho
03-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Okay, I loaded up 15 rounds of Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips. 5 each over 25, 24 and 23 grains of Varget. I also loaded up 10 rounds of Barnes 69gr Match Burners over 23 gr of Varget. The loads with 23 grs of Varget got the best groups. My buddy tells me that there is "no comparison" to the quality of the Berger bullets so today I bought a box of 70gr Berger VLDs. I'm looking forward to getting some of those loaded up and heading to the range.

JW
03-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Idaho
Reading your post shows you are having a lot of fun (and maybe a little agitation lol) loading and trying different bullet/powder combinations
I know what you are going through--been there

My suggestion to you is to take one powder and one bullet and work with that combo
Get the load worked out and then play with the bullet length (COL) If it doesn't work, move to another bullet or powder
I have noticed that with the 223, one tenth of a grain difference in powder charge will make a difference on the group
I would at least go in 1/2 grain increments with the varget loads you mentioned above and then break it down smaller around the best groups

Typically,there will be a a low powder charge that shoots well and a high powder charge that also shoots well
It all really depends on what you want to do & how far you want to take it in your quest for accuracy
An old timer told me years ago: "There is no end to it" He is right and I have to remind myself often LOL
I hope this helps, have fun & be safe
Jack

GaCop
03-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Well? Any update on accuracy? One question that has not been asked; how bad does your factory barrel copper foul? Part of your accuracy issues could be caused by that.

Idaho
03-09-2015, 12:05 AM
This has been educational if nothing else that's for sure. The Bergers did not deliver as hoped. And I have not been able to see the same accuracy from the same loads that gave me one inch groups in the past. Today at the range my buddy and I talked about the scope possibly being the problem. I have a Burris C4 4.5-14 5.56 scope mounted on the rifle. We discovered that the scope is maladjusted for parallax. (at least it seems that way) When I have the rifle on the bipod and butt on a rice bag when I move my eye back and forth the crosshairs move over the target. That's not good. The objective bell has parallax adjustment but I obviously did not know how to use it. (the instructions are vague) I researched parallax adjustment and think that may be my problem. Now, I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow to try to set the parallax for 100 yards. I did not know that the yardage marks on the bell housing should not be taken literally. I will try to find the sweat spot for several ranges and then head back to the rifle range to see what happens. Stay tuned.