PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Stevens 325A 30-30

jhog4805
01-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Hey all got a couple questions. When i was 16 (30 years ago, lol) my grandfather gave me his Stevens Model 325A 30-30 hunting rifle for Christmas. The gun is in excellent condition, no scratches in metal, blueing is perfect and bore looks brand new. The rifle was built in 1947 and he purchased it new in 1948. It's only been used a few times in the early 50's at hunting camp in northern, MI. The stock also is flawless and appears like new still. My question is the stock doesn't look like it has a semi shiney surface like my other rifles. You can feel the wood texture when handling the gun unlike my other rifles which feel smooth to the touch due to the protective coating. I'm assuming the factory must have put some sort of sealer on the wood stock. The gun is very sentimental to me and i'm affraid to use it in bad weather hunting for fear the stock will be ruined yet at the same time would like to hunt with my grandfathers old rifle. Is there anything i could use to put a protective shell on this gun without changing the appearance of the rifle. Or is it protected possibly by some other factory finish that gives it the unfinished (shiny) look and textured feel? It does have a slight shine to it but not like my other rifles, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Mad Dog
01-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Pretty sure they had to have put some kind of finish on it, they wouldn't just sand it and then send it down the road.

Ever think of buying one of the Boyds 325 stocks and switching them out for taking it hunting? Probably a better way to go.

jhog4805
01-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, i will take a look at boyd's website

fraserdw
01-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Your stock was originally coated in a Tung Oil mixture. It is an excellent wood preservative but requires regular application. Get it at hardware stores, Apply 8 coats over 8 days and then one coat after each outing. Apply and allow to become sticky, then buff with soft cloth like linen. The wood will feel like wood with a wax texture. It leaves a gorgeous sheer that brings out the wood grain.