PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Kydex Cheekpiece Question/Observation

6mmBR_Shooter
01-06-2015, 07:48 AM
I just finished molding some kydex for my Tacticool and drilled the holes through the stock last night. One thing that came up when I was reading threads on this and other sites regarding the install, was why not install some sort of pillar flush with either side of the stock through the bolt holes so that when the bolts are tightened, the laminate does not get compressed or stressed in any way. It seems like this would be less of an issue on a fiberglass stock than on a wood one, but has anyone done this before?

Just an initial thought, I could take some lamp rod that is slightly larger than 1/4" OD, thread in through each hole, and then the carriage bolt and nut would clamp the kydex to the metal and not directly into the wood.

While I haven't seen it done before, I wonder if its because its not necessary or just because nobody has tried it before.

Good idea? Bad idea? I look forward to other thoughts.

Twinsen
01-06-2015, 11:32 AM
I swear I've seen it before with a wood stock.

Robinhood
01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
I thought about using all thread with a weld nut on either side. The weld nut flange facing out would give a good support to tighten against and would be parallel.
They look like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51d-pifkXGL._SX342_.jpg

6mmBR_Shooter
01-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Well, I did it but whether its necessary or not we may never know.

I drilled the hole out to just under the OD of the lamp rod and then used pliers to thread it in. A hacksaw cut off the excess from both sides of the two holes and then I filed them flush.

I'll try to post pictures later.