PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Add Third Action Screw To MKII TR?

bvil
01-04-2015, 11:09 PM
I've been working on bedding the action on my MKII TR 22LR and was curious if anyone has added a third action screw in the boss behind the mag well. It looks like the tiny screw hole lines up perfectly with the boss. I would think that it would help to hold everything in place. Any opinions?

Mozella
01-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Well, I'm no expert but I am an engineer and I remember an argument against pillar bedding via 3 action screws. With two screws you just have to be sure the two pillars are reasonably close to the correct length(s) so that the action sits in the stock in such a way that it's neither pointing too far up or down.

With three screws the middle screw is likely to be a tiny bit higher or lower than the perfect length. Therefore, when you tighten all three screws, the middle part of the action will either be pushed up or pulled down to some degree and, as a result, you will be bending the action. It is claimed, and I certainly have no personal proof of this, that putting a bending stress the action is a bad thing for accuracy.

I have no proof of that, but it makes sense. I'm doing my first pillar bedding job next week on my new Savage MK II FV and I plan to use only two action screws. However, I admit that the temptation is great to use the middle stand off and a third action screw. Report back if you do.

bvil
01-08-2015, 07:43 PM
That certainly makes sense. I will give it a try without the middle screw first but might still epoxy a nut into the stock and drill the bottom metal for the same size screw as the front and rear. I don't care for the tiny wood screw and figure it would make that thin section of stock a little stronger as well. I just can't understand why the bottom of the inletting was made so thin. There could have been about 3/16" more material left at both the front and rear.