PDA

View Full Version : scope mounting issues

andyinak61
01-04-2015, 03:06 AM
I am having a weird problem. I was mounting scopes on 2 rifles. 1 is a 30 year old 110 and the other is a pre accu trigger 111. I set the scopes one a Leupold VX 3 and one a VX 2 in the middle of the adjustment range. I then mounted the scopes in Burris mounts and bore sighted. To get the cross hairs to zero I needed to adjust one all the way to the stops up and one all the way down. I tried both scopes on the 110 and they both hit the same place on the bore sighter. I also shot the 110 a 30-06 and I had to adjust the scope all the way down to hit at 25 yards. Any ideas?

DrThunder88
01-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Could you have gotten the rings mixed up in such a way that you have two slightly different heights on each rifle?

andyinak61
01-04-2015, 12:28 PM
I switched them around and no difference. One person I know suggested putting a shim under one of the scope bases. Any input on good or bad idea?

olddav
01-04-2015, 01:32 PM
What base are you using?

barrel-nut
01-04-2015, 01:58 PM
I switched them around and no difference. One person I know suggested putting a shim under one of the scope bases. Any input on good or bad idea?

Assuming you are using two-piece bases, yes this would help. It's not my favorite way to solve the problem, but it will get you back on target. Put a shim under the rear base to raise the point of impact in relation to the line of sight. Put a shim under the front base to lower the point of impact. Someone will chime in here soon and say that Burris Signature rings with the inserts will solve your problem, and they would. I prefer solid rail type mounts. But if you want to use the ones you have, you'll pretty much have to shim them. If you're in a pinch shims can be made from soda cans. I've never done that, but I have had good luck with these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548585609/burris-scope-base-shims-1240x735-package-of-10

andyinak61
01-04-2015, 08:05 PM
I went to the range with both rifles. the shims seem to work just fine. All I tried today was factory loads. The 06 with American Eagle 150 fmj shot so-so. The .270 with Remington Core Loct 150 sp put 5 into 1.12 and 4 of them into .48. I guess it is another accurate Savage rifle.

DrThunder88
01-05-2015, 05:31 AM
Interesting. I'm glad you got it fixed.

Mach2
01-05-2015, 12:05 PM
I had to adjust the scope all the way down to hit at 25 yards. Any ideas?

just get it on paper at 25yds do not zero at that close distance because you are too close. Remember the center of the scope and the center of the barrel are 2-3" apart so if you try to zero at close range you really gotta point the scope down. Just get it on paper then move out. Then try at minimum 75 yds. I usually zero a centerfire deer rifle at no closer than 100 yds.
Don't pay any attention to where the dials are set at 25 yds because it doesn't mean anything that close.

You have the same issue on both guns which makes me think nothing is wrong. Ive never zeroed a gun at 25yds.
Both your rifles can kill deer at 700 yards. Don't pay much attention to what goes on at 25yds.

Werewolf
01-05-2015, 02:05 PM
1 is a 30 year old 110 and the other is a pre accu trigger 111.

The "flats" on the rear of the receiver on the old style savages were ground by hand. Many have had issues with them not being straight or being out of spec height wise, it just isn't always enough for a person to notice it if the scope has enough adjustment. I have had one that I had to shim before as well. Bad luck to get a hold of two at the same time. Put the bases on and run a straight edge on em to see if they line up.