PDA

View Full Version : 450 Bushmaster Headspace Gauge

Klem
01-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know where to get a 450 Bushmaster headspace gauge?
Has anyone out there installed a 450 Bushmaster barrel on a Savage action?

bootsmcguire
01-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Yup, sure have. Mine works great, I have had it on a SF and a CF magazine actions. The CF works much better.

I just used a pc of brass that was timed to proper length as a headspace gauge. Works great. Add a pc of tape to the bottom to make a no-go and your set.

snowgetter1
01-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Same as Boots.

DrThunder88
01-05-2015, 02:13 AM
The only place I've found one is at 4D Reamer Rentals. In the end, though, I just went with the shell casing and tape method.

Klem
01-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the helpful info.. Using the shell casing definitely sounds like the way to go. Did you guys have to build a ramp on the front of the magazine follower to get proper feeding? I've read where some have had to do that.

foxx
01-05-2015, 08:41 PM
I went ahead and got a go-gage from Dave Manson of Precision Instruments. It wasn't cheap, and the only one they had in stock at the time. I got one b/c the barrel I installed ended up going to a friend of mine. I figured it should be done to spec b/c I did not know what brass he would be using. Their number is: eight one zero - 695-two 0 eight 0.

snowgetter1
01-06-2015, 12:14 AM
When mine was on a centerfeed rifle it feed the first two rounds out of the magazine perfectly. The last round would not feed reliably. I now have the barrel on a striker and it is single shot due to hunting restrictions.

DrThunder88
01-06-2015, 02:12 AM
I've been working up a spacer for the back of a short action magazine (Axis-style), that I'll use in conjunction with a 223 follower assembly. The combination short action mag body and 223 follower seemed to work the best in my tests. A plain short action magazine would feed if the rounds were pushed all the way forward. If the rounds were loaded toward the back of the mag, they'd have a tendency to dive as the bolt pushed them forward. I could barely load one round in a 223 magazine, but I suspect the feed lips could be cut and bent to work.

bootsmcguire
01-06-2015, 03:03 AM
Huh, I musta got the lucky magazine or something. The CF I have it on feeds all rounds just fine. Lucky Me! ;)