PDA

View Full Version : Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

acridsaint
02-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I do think you're right. But, the capacity is one of the reasons I bought mine. I'm going to wait a couple months and see if we get anything solid on Magpul releasing their new stock and bottom metal before I decide what to do with it. Until then, I'll just have to live with a 9 round magazine.

Kokopelli
02-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Well dang.. I was about to order one of these, but not anymore..

raygun
02-05-2015, 12:02 AM
guys like i stated on a earlier post… installed accurate mag kit … no problems … my threads are good too….

mikgarus
02-05-2015, 11:24 AM
I do think you're right. But, the capacity is one of the reasons I bought mine. I'm going to wait a couple months and see if we get anything solid on Magpul releasing their new stock and bottom metal before I decide what to do with it. Until then, I'll just have to live with a 9 round magazine.
Do the Darkeagle ten round mags work with this rifle? I have one I use for my .243 Mod 10 PH and it's been flawless.
http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.php

BoilerUP
02-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Do the Darkeagle ten round mags work with this rifle?

Yes.

Bimmer
02-07-2015, 06:00 PM
My conclusion is that they just don't know how to make a DBM. If I keep the rifle, it will have to get new bottom metal.

I have one of these arriving next week... I'm not exciting about spending another $200 on bottom metal.

Do we have any idea whether MagPul's new precision rifle mags will fit in the Savage FCP-SR?

acridsaint
02-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Not the new FCP-SR with plastic Savage mags.

The mags work fine if you don't fill them all the way up. I'm just overly critical because it was a big selling point to me when I decided on the gun. I don't think my mag dropping issue is as common, although my buddy had the same problem with mags dropping and rounds not stripping in his new 270 last weekend. Just bad luck, I suspect.

I have one of these arriving next week... I'm not exciting about spending another $200 on bottom metal.

Do we have any idea whether MagPul's new precision rifle mags will fit in the Savage FCP-SR?

Twinsen
02-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Are you making sure to fully seat the action rearward into the stock before tightening the action screws and also making sure to shove the rear of the magazine in fully before rocking the front of the magazine in? I personally didn't have problems with the mag seating if I did the correct loading procedure.

acridsaint
02-08-2015, 07:17 PM
I haven't removed the action from the stock. I checked the screws to make sure they were tight before I shot and after shooting it and that's it. I don't have any bolt drag associated with overt-tight screws, so I haven't looked at them beyond that.

I do have the right procedure for inserting the magazine, but that can be a little tricky. I found that you can feel it when the magazine isn't fully inserted at the rear because it "clicks in" a little funny. I may loosen up the screws and re-seat the action if I have problems with the new magazine.

swadiver
02-20-2015, 10:46 AM
So I just got a new Model 10 FCP-SR in .308 from Buds. paid about $625 for it. it has the Accustock and Accutrigger. it was missing the scope rail on arrival at the FFL. i had Savage send me one. they did so quickly and at no charge. however, i decided to put a EGW HD 20 moa rail on in place of the the stock savage. added the Millet LRS-1 6-25x glass. very impressed so far with the Millet. compared to my buddies twice as expensive Vortex on his Remington 700, his Vortex seems only very slightly sharper. I also added the muzzle break as seen and the Southwest Precision cheek riser.

I have had it out to the 100 yd range twice now. did the break in and have been shooting factory match ammo through it. with only 60 rds through it so far, using both both Australian Outback 168 gr Sierra Matchking and and Federal Gold 168 gr Sierra Matchking, it has been shooting moa or less with the Federal the more accurate (no surprise, but the Aussie stuff is good for the price). best 5 shot group with the Federal has been about .5 inch and a couple of 4 shot groups at .35 inch. i don't even consider it broken in yet. The Aussie stuff shoots .5 to 1.5 inch.

Magazine. definitely the weak link in this weapon. i usually only load 5 rounds in the mag and don't need the 10 rd capability. however, even with just 5 rds in place, the last round sometimes does not feed without assistance. this is not a big deal for me because this is used as a slow fire bench rest weapon. something Savage should address, though.

i have the Accutrigger down to the lowest pull weight, but would like to get the target style Accutrigger in place to lower it even more.

Overall, i am very happy with the purchase. bang for buck seems very good to me. looking forward to get some rounds through it and going out to much longer ranges. BTW, this is my first bolt action rifle. I am an AR guy at heart, but this has been lots of fun already. At exactly the same time, my shooting buddy just got a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range (more expensive than the Savage by about $500) in .308 as well. so far, the Savage is doing as well or better than the Rem. we will be competing against each other in the future, and it looks like the Savage is going hold it's own.http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06245_zpscea7dd36.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/swadiver1/media/DSC06245_zpscea7dd36.jpg.html)

acridsaint
02-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Glad to hear that you like it. I also found the Australian Outback ammo to be gtg, especially at half the price of the Federal.

Did you figure out what about the magazine was causing your feeding problem?

swadiver
02-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Glad to hear that you like it. I also found the Australian Outback ammo to be gtg, especially at half the price of the Federal.

Did you figure out what about the magazine was causing your feeding problem?

frankly, i have not explored that yet but will do so and post the results.

swadiver
02-20-2015, 12:15 PM
So I just got a new Model 10 FCP-SR in .308 from Buds. paid about $625 for it. it has the Accustock and Accutrigger. it was missing the scope rail on arrival at the FFL. i had Savage send me one. they did so quickly and at no charge. however, i decided to put a EGW HD 20 moa rail on in place of the the stock savage. added the Millet LRS-1 6-25x glass. very impressed so far with the Millet. compared to my buddies twice as expensive Vortex on his Remington 700, his Vortex seems only very slightly sharper. I also added the muzzle break as seen.

I have had it out to the 100 yd range twice now. did the break in and have been shooting factory match ammo through it. with only 60 rds through it so far, using both both Australian Outback 168 gr Sierra Matchking and and Federal Gold 168 gr Sierra Matchking, it has been shooting moa or less with the Federal the more accurate (no surprise, but the Aussie stuff is good for the price). best 5 shot group with the Federal has been about .5 inch and a couple of 4 shot groups at .35 inch. i don't even consider it broken in yet. The Aussie stuff shoots .5 to 1.5 inch.

Magazine. definitely the weak link in this weapon. i usually only load 5 rounds in the mag and don't need the 10 rd capability. however, even with just 5 rds in place, the last round sometimes does not feed without assistance. this is not a big deal for me because this is used as a slow fire bench rest weapon. something Savage should address, though.

i have the Accutrigger down to the lowest pull weight, but would like to get the target style Accutrigger in place to lower it even more.

Overall, i am very happy with the purchase. bang for buck seems very good to me. looking forward to get some rounds through it and going out to much longer ranges. BTW, this is my first bolt action rifle. I am an AR guy at heart, but this has been lots of fun already. At exactly the same time, my shooting buddy just got a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range (more expensive than the Savage by about $500) in .308 as well. so far, the Savage is doing as well or better than the Rem. we will be competing against each other in the future, and it looks like the Savage is going hold it's own.http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06245_zpscea7dd36.jpg (http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/swadiver1/media/DSC06245_zpscea7dd36.jpg.html)

BTW, question for you experienced guys. besides that butt pad i added to the stock, is there any other way to extend the length of pull with this "stock" stock? i added the butt pad not for recoil mitigation, but LOP.

acridsaint
02-20-2015, 01:22 PM
I haven't looked into it. The LOP for me is just about right. Maybe a bit on the long side for shouldering the rifle, as I sometimes catch the butt pad coming up.

TheBest
02-20-2015, 09:03 PM
What kind of brake is that?

swadiver
02-20-2015, 10:51 PM
What kind of brake is that?

Midwest Industries

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1265

TheBest
02-21-2015, 12:34 AM
How much was shipping?

swadiver
02-21-2015, 09:56 AM
How much was shipping?

i don't remember exactly but it was reasonable

acridsaint
02-21-2015, 09:15 PM
I have a range update -

I went out with the new magazine and put 80 rounds through the rifle. I shot mostly steel with cheap 147 ball ammo, but also put some on paper also. The 147 NATO stuff was 1.5-2" groups, but not too bad. I put 20 rounds of Australian Outback through it at the end of the day, but didn't manage to shoot better than 1". Might just be fouling from the previous rounds and me shooting poorly.

The replacement magazine did not come out under recoil, so that's a good thing. I think the first one may have just been too far out of spec. I still got one double feed with a full mag, but I only loaded it to 10 three times. I just don't think that they can reliably run 10 rounds.

Twinsen
02-22-2015, 02:24 AM
I've got about as much ammo through mine as the rifle cost. I still haven't figured out how to get MOA out of her.

But in good news, I cleaned the bore of my MVP and the accuracy returned. The first 20 shots all were under half in groups and it was hilarious. Every once in a while you luck out and that 1 MOA gun puts up silly little groups.

My 110 in 338 LM gave me 0.96 and 0.97 with a powder change. I have 199 rounds through her and will begin tweaking the load by first loading longer and then fine tuning the charge. I just did the math on what it would cost to buy 200 rounds and chuckled.