PDA

View Full Version : Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

acridsaint
01-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I meant the actual rifle. The one that the OP has and the one that I have are item #22442.

acridsaint
01-31-2015, 08:14 PM
I would like to update that I don't think the rounds are tilting, I think the magazine is coming free under use. I tested it with snap caps tonight and found that the magazine came loose after bolt manipulation. I made 100% sure that it was seated properly before I tested and found that when the round wouldn't strip, the magazine was able to be ripped free. I think that whatever movement is causing this will only be compounded by recoil.

It's my feeling that 100% of my magazine failures came from the mag partially or fully dropping out of the mag well. At first I thought that the mag drops were user error, but at this point I believe that either my magazine or mag well are failing. I'll test it with the new magazine and see if the issue still exists.

Ronnoc
01-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Sorry, I meant the actual rifle. The one that the OP has and the one that I have are item #22442.

It is 22192.

acridsaint
01-31-2015, 10:25 PM
Thank you. I wanted to see if it was another # change, which it appears to be.

Neoloki
01-31-2015, 11:04 PM
I have the same version that Ronnoc has. When I called Savage I was told that it is a special edition made for cabelas. I was also told that the AccuStock will not fit the action as the recoil lugs are different.

-Neo

Here is what I made it in too

http://i.imgur.com/RfpZPw1.jpg

Ronnoc
01-31-2015, 11:09 PM
I have the same version that Ronnoc has. When I called Savage I was told that it is a special edition made for cabelas. I was also told that the AccuStock will not fit the action as the recoil lugs are different.

-Neo

Wow, just keeps getting better. :mad:

Neoloki
01-31-2015, 11:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8zoIhu1.jpg

I bedded it with an aluminum rod in the center channel, it is stiff, but not AccuStock Stiff.

Cabelas updated their site:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FCP-SR-RIFLE/1954769.uts

acridsaint
02-01-2015, 01:19 AM
By the way, I concur completely about it being deceitful and wrote the same before. This is my third Savage and probably my last new one. I'm willing to pay more and get less rifle in the future, just to speak with my wallet.

I am not sure where to look for non-accustock part number, can you tell me?

I have to say, I feel this was deceitful on Savage's part. I will certainly be loathe to purchase another Savage rifle and planned next week to be one of the tactical style 22s, but that most likely will not occur, and had possibly planned a third based on what so many said about the rifles from them. I did not expect a GA Precision, but I did expect better than this.

Twinsen
02-01-2015, 07:00 AM
I was having a hard time with the cheek weld … did a little research and purchased the Bradley adjustable cheek rest…worked great… groupings started getting better

These stock designs with the huge drop are supposedly remnants of bad decisions made a decade or two before I was born. Savage knows they don't offer these rifles with low bore line iron sights, but they pattern the stocks for such use anyway. One day they'll catch up to 1975 and quit it. Until then, Karsten will get my money and Bradley will get yours.

none of us will know until they come out and someone puts one in their Savage.

I'm your huckleberry.

Rapid Case Kicker
02-01-2015, 09:30 AM
I put 50 rounds through mine today and my thread protector did shoot loose, but not so bad that I noticed before I finished.

I use suppressor and compensators on my guns and have found the best way to solve the thread protector problem of it coming while shooting. I thread it on all the way and tighten it by hand. Then I mark the bottom of the thread protector and drill a small hole there. Then I have a hole I can use to tighten it on with a spanner wrench without having to break out the pliers and mess up the finish.

Ronnoc
02-01-2015, 11:03 AM
I use suppressor and compensators on my guns and have found the best way to solve the thread protector problem of it coming while shooting. I thread it on all the way and tighten it by hand. Then I mark the bottom of the thread protector and drill a small hole there. Then I have a hole I can use to tighten it on with a spanner wrench without having to break out the pliers and mess up the finish.

Why not a drop of Rocksett or Red Loctite? Most of my guns I just use a torque wrench for my QD muzzle devices, but it sounds like something like Rocksett would be better on this gun.

acridsaint
02-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the tip.

Rapid Case Kicker
02-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Why not a drop of Rocksett or Red Loctite? Most of my guns I just use a torque wrench for my QD muzzle devices, but it sounds like something like Rocksett would be better on this gun.

Red Loctite works great at keeping the thread protector on the end of the barrel, but the little hole at the bottom of the thread protector allows me to take it off without using a tool that will mar the finish. Keeping my thread protector on isn't the issue, taking it off is.

acridsaint
02-02-2015, 11:43 AM
I think some of us are having the opposite problem; they are coming off with use. Now, I didn't use a pipe wrench to tighten mine down, so maybe that's a problem, but I'm not really worried about getting it off at the moment. Just don't want it to work itself off while shooting.

Twinsen
02-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Yeah my threads are sloppier than any I've ever used on a firearm. Definitely unacceptable for a precision rifle. And I'm not going to red loctite my silencer onto one of my rifles.

powderburnz
02-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Yeah my threads are sloppier than any I've ever used on a firearm. Definitely unacceptable for a precision rifle. And I'm not going to red loctite my silencer onto one of my rifles.

I think some of us are having the opposite problem; they are coming off with use. Now, I didn't use a pipe wrench to tighten mine down, so maybe that's a problem, but I'm not really worried about getting it off at inthe moment. Just don't want it to work itself off while shooting.

Just a thought here guys, has anyone ever tried a couple wraps of common plumbers Teflon tape?

acridsaint
02-03-2015, 12:20 AM
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. From what I've read, it will hold up pretty well until you remove the thread protector, and then it needs to be replaced, which is fine by me.

Just a thought here guys, has anyone ever tried a couple wraps of common plumbers Teflon tape?

Twinsen
02-03-2015, 07:16 AM
That was my plan if excessive fouling couldn't do the job for me.

acridsaint
02-03-2015, 11:31 PM
I received my replacement magazine today. To Savage's credit, it came quickly with no hassle.

I can't see anything different visually, including the lip on the rear of the magazine that catches in the mag well. It does seem more secure and I didn't find that I was able to rip it free if inserted properly. Only shooting will tell if it comes out under recoil.

It holds the rounds much more securely, meaning the 10th round doesn't pop out as soon as I put it in and the magazine can even be dropped from 6-8" onto carpet without the 10th round popping out. However, it's still really difficult to insert on a closed bolt and more often than not, the top round pops out and causes a double feed. On the few occasions that it didn't do so, I found that rapid bolt manipulation would also throw the top round out and cause a double feed. If inserted on an open bolt it's generally OK, but it still managed to double feed on me once when the top round popped free as soon as it began to strip.

My conclusion is that they just don't know how to make a DBM. If I keep the rifle, it will have to get new bottom metal.

Twinsen
02-04-2015, 01:17 AM
I bet Savage 4 rounders would work fine if you don't need the capacity. I sold my 10 rounder super cheap so somebody could tinker with it.