PDA

View Full Version : Beware: 10FCP-SR has been changed

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Twinsen
01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Well, I'm completely fed up now. This is ridiculous. There are a few more things wrong with the rifle.

1. It changed color.
2. It even changed the scope's color.
3. It broke the mold by going black, and then going back.

I'm tired of this crap.

http://i.imgur.com/JLmYvVW.jpg

(Duracoat)

foxx
01-15-2015, 08:14 PM
THAT"S your FIRST rifle?

Holy Crap! You gotta slow down, boy!

Looks good. Wish I had one like that.

Neoloki
01-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Wow that is sweet looking!!

Twinsen
01-16-2015, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys!

Far from the first. I was being sarcastic. But I was painting with rattlecans for a while. This is only my third time duracoating a gun though, and the only one I presently own.

Painting seems really hard and magical until you learn what paint likes what. Duracoat likes tiny, crappy airburshes and hates needle touch up guns.

foxx
01-16-2015, 12:47 AM
So what crappy little airbrush were you using? I have an old Badger (300???) that was a decent airbrush for paint, but gets clogged or something with the Duracoat. I got frustrated with it last summer and put it away. Haven't tried again. While it worked it was great.

Twinsen
01-16-2015, 02:26 AM
It comes with 5 paint cups, so I could do 5 colors at once. It wastes very, very little paint. I used 40psi. I filled one cup with Duracoat Reducer (thinner) and after a couple hours it was killing the plastic. I'll buy another set tomorrow and have 6 cups.

The paint doesn't go through the sprayer, so there's nothing to clean. Cleanup procedure was dropping used paint cups into the trash.

There's one adjustment to make, how much paint to allow. I tighten it all the way closed, then open it until some paint comes out.

$10

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13800.jpg

foxx
01-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Are you serious?! I thought$10 was for the jars!

2x I've spent $30 on replacement parts for mine, (temporary fixes) and currently it won't shoot. I can see how simple that POS is, but would not have expected those kind of results with it. I've used the aerosol sprayer but it spits out so much paint it's ridiculous, not just waste but too thick and heavy. Results looks like crap. If you're getting those kind of results with that thing, I'm gonna get 2! I really like how it cleans up, too. I am all over that strategy. :)

jpdown
01-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Foxx, I also use a cheap air brush and inline air filter I found at Harbor Freight. Works well with Duracoat for stocks and GunKote/Ceracoat for metal. It has a glass jar. But beware, painting Savage is almost as addictive as building them.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0041_zps14cb9e46.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0041_zps14cb9e46.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0039_zps6d520a40.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0039_zps6d520a40.jpg.html)

Twinsen
01-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Is the filter for water? I haven't had a water issue. It may be luck, it may be AZ.

jpdown
01-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Yes, the inline filter is to remove water condensation from humid air flow.

rphguy
01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
I was kinda curious to what kind of group it shot
looks very tight after 1 shot.

Pedro60
01-19-2015, 12:53 AM
New to Savages and this forum but saw this thread and had to sign up.
This is how I see Savages changes to the FCP-SR. I see Savage only improving
from the prior design. Let's start with the digital camo, I read in numerous threads
that folks were peeling off the camo by simply removing the Savage stickers that
come on the stock when new. Savage sent new stocks sans stickers to these folks.
I personally prefer black and not to worry about my camo peeling. Second, the new
mag well and magazine do not rattle like the prior FCP-SR. Third, The Bolt knob is much
larger and more tactical. I can only assume the MSRP drop was to compete with similar
rifles on the market. All I see is basically the same rifle but with these improvements.
I mounted a Harris Swivel Bipod and have a Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 that needs mounting.
I'll take some pics when I follow up

acridsaint
01-21-2015, 01:13 PM
I just bought one and wish I had seen this thread first. I based my purchase on old reviews. I also think the black stock is nicer looking and was excited to see that they offered a black one, but I didn't know that it came with other "feature changes".

They have deleted the 20 MOA EGW base and replaced it with a 0 MOA Savage base, I don't see how that is an upgrade.

The magazine doesn't rattle, but it's definitely not an upgrade. Where can you buy better magazines than the Savage mags? Because mine is terrible. The old version accepted AI magazines, which are pretty much the gold standard for quality bolt gun mags. My Savage magazine is difficult to insert, the follower is junk, and it effectively holds only 9 rounds. If you shove 10 rounds into the magazine you have two options: wait 5 seconds for #10 to pop out or quickly shove it into the mag well and prepare for a double feed.

New to Savages and this forum but saw this thread and had to sign up.
This is how I see Savages changes to the FCP-SR. I see Savage only improving
from the prior design. Let's start with the digital camo, I read in numerous threads
that folks were peeling off the camo by simply removing the Savage stickers that
come on the stock when new. Savage sent new stocks sans stickers to these folks.
I personally prefer black and not to worry about my camo peeling. Second, the new
mag well and magazine do not rattle like the prior FCP-SR. Third, The Bolt knob is much
larger and more tactical. I can only assume the MSRP drop was to compete with similar
rifles on the market. All I see is basically the same rifle but with these improvements.
I mounted a Harris Swivel Bipod and have a Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 that needs mounting.
I'll take some pics when I follow up

Twinsen
01-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I've been helping out another member via PM with the mag replacement.

Accurate Mag offers AICS style DBM for the Savage Accustock inlet. The one they shipped me came with a front action screw too long for the job and told me to hacksaw it down. I did, and then touched it up with a file. That made the switch take 30 minutes. 25 minutes on the screw, 5 for the rest. It fits right in the stock.

Black is the worst color possible for hunting as game animals see greyscale for the most part and black doesn't exist in nature. This means your black rifle sticks out worse than anything else possibly could. Also black in central Arizona means hot enough to boil water in the summer. No bueno!

If the stock magazine had beefier feedlips and a no-tilt follower, it might work.

acridsaint
01-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Hey Twinsen. I will probably end up replacing it with AICS compatible metal, but I felt burned by it because the magazine factored into my purchase. I was thinking "Wow, what an incredible deal on a rifle that already comes with AI style metal and mag". I think that it was a little underhanded of Savage to do that.

Pedro60
01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
I just bought one and wish I had seen this thread first. I based my purchase on old reviews. I also think the black stock is nicer looking and was excited to see that they offered a black one, but I didn't know that it came with other "feature changes".

They have deleted the 20 MOA EGW base and replaced it with a 0 MOA Savage base, I don't see how that is an upgrade.

The magazine doesn't rattle, but it's definitely not an upgrade. Where can you buy better magazines than the Savage mags? Because mine is terrible. The old version accepted AI magazines, which are pretty much the gold standard for quality bolt gun mags. My Savage magazine is difficult to insert, the follower is junk, and it effectively holds only 9 rounds. If you shove 10 rounds into the magazine you have two options: wait 5 seconds for #10 to pop out or quickly shove it into the mag well and prepare for a double feed.

How do you know the base isn't 20 MOA? Who confirmed this?
I have no problem with the mags. If you do I'd advise you call Savage

acridsaint
01-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Savage no longer lists the base as 20 MOA on their website. And, you can see the cant on a 20 MOA base. Is yours 20 MOA?

Let me know what measurements you want from mine and I will provide them tonight.

How do you know the base isn't 20 MOA? Who confirmed this?
I have no problem with the mags. If you do I'd advise you call Savage

Twinsen
01-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Hey Twinsen. I will probably end up replacing it with AICS compatible metal, but I felt burned by it because the magazine factored into my purchase. I was thinking "Wow, what an incredible deal on a rifle that already comes with AI style metal and mag". I think that it was a little underhanded of Savage to do that.

I was very angry at first as well. Now I feel I have paid a fair price for a rifle. I was buying a $650 Savage I figured would be on par with a FN PBR at $6-700. Turns out it required $950 to get to a rifle I think is only a notch or two below that $6-700 FN. So I only got a little boned out of a few hundred dollars, but I learned to check Savage model numbers and to not do business with Grabagun ever.

When dealing with gun retailers and manufacturers, you can't be hasty. Take a step back, think about how they might be trying to pull a fast one. Because you can be sure that they are trying to.

acridsaint
01-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Also, meant to reply before, Twinsen in this thread has the exact same magazine problem that I do. 2 people doesn't make a reliable data set, but I haven't seen any positive comments on the new magazines except yours.

acridsaint
01-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Totally agree with your advice, Twinsen. It's not the end of the world, I just surely don't see the changes as upgrades.