PDA

View Full Version : New guy here: Couple question on the Boyd stock upgrade.

Ridgerunner7
01-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I've been considering upgrading my axis stock to the Boyd laminate stock but have a couple questions/concerns.

1. Have they worked out the "fit" issues? I've read numerous reviews on holes not lining up, magazine not fitting after the swap, etc.

2. Do I have to add bedding for it to be as accurate as the original?? or can it be shot as is? My concern is I switch stocks and all the sudden my accuracy suffers. (I don't know squat about this stuff).

Thanks for the help.

bootsmcguire
01-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Can't speak on the fit, but it is always a good idea to bed it. At least with pillars.

daddyusmaximus
01-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Accuracy should be better. It will require a re-zero, but it should shoot just fine. I just put my Boyd's stock on mine and haven't fired it yet, but the factory stock is such a piece of garbage, I say it HAS to be better. My stock fit just fine. All the way around it the fit is just right, with one exception. The magazine is a bit tight and now requires more upward pressure to seat, but it does seat fine, and a bit tight is better than a bit loose in my book. It cycles and feeds good. I plan to have mine bedded when I get the money. The feel is completely different. ...and in a good way.

Factory stock = yucky.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/daddyusmaximus/Guns/Axis_zps49758260.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/daddyusmaximus/media/Guns/Axis_zps49758260.jpg.html)

Boyd's stock = sexy.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/daddyusmaximus/Guns/Axiswithboydsstock_zps07911b96.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/daddyusmaximus/media/Guns/Axiswithboydsstock_zps07911b96.jpg.html)

pdog2062
01-02-2015, 11:13 PM
I have numerous Boyds stocks and all have been drop in fit but also all are blind magazine. I also have bedded them as well but have not added pillars to any and to tell the truth have not been able to tell the difference with or without them.

DrThunder88
01-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Mine have worked fine in terms of fit. The barrel channel needs hogging out if you ever decide to go with a heavier barrel, and I found a Timney trigger wouldn't fit without a little bit of work on the inletting, but factory gear fits without issue.

There were no differences in accuracy before and after I pillar bedded my Tacticool. This was over one of the nicest summers ever, though, so it's hard to say if that would be the case if it hadn't been entirely pleasant from outing to outing. I'd still do it for their Axis stocks though, because I don't really trust the thin wood behind the front action screw. Plus, it's nice feeling the action screw suddenly stop as it's being tightened. Skim bedding is also a good way to make sure the rifle is reassembled the exact same way each time since Boyds' tolerances seem a bit loose in places.

Ridgerunner7
01-03-2015, 07:37 PM
What makes the original stock so crappy? It doesn't feel very flimsy to me. Aren't most competition rifles using synthetic stocks? Or is it different material?

bootsmcguire
01-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Squeeze the stock and barrel towards each other. The stock flexes right towards the stock and this is bad if you are using a bipod or forend rest.

barrel-nut
01-04-2015, 12:07 AM
What makes the original stock so crappy? It doesn't feel very flimsy to me. Aren't most competition rifles using synthetic stocks? Or is it different material?

It's only "crappy" if you're unhappy with it and/or it's causing you to shoot poorly. That's not the case for everyone. They are definitely not a high quality stock, not even close. But they are serviceable for many people.

Yes, many competition rifles use synthetic stocks. They are, however, vastly different in materials, design, and construction. The ubiquitous black stocks on entry-level rifles like the Axis are injection-molded plastic. Synthetic, yes, but just plain ole plastic- hence the "Tupperware" jokes. Competition-level stocks, and many others at price and quality points between here and there, are made of synthetic materials like woven fiberglass or Kevlar cloths laid into a mold and infused with high-tech resins. Many are hollow, others filled with special fillers to reach a stated weight spec. Most also incorporate either pillars or some sort of an aluminum bedding block or skeleton. Most also include a high quality recoil pad, some even sport an adjustable length pad and cheek rest. All are more rigid than an IMP stock. Most also cost more than an entire Axis rifle, or even two or three.

Bottom line, if you're happy with what you got, don't let anyone pressure you into feeling like you need something better. The factory stock can be shot accurately enough for many purposes. But if you are so inclined, there are better stocks available. They may or may not help you shoot more accurately.

barrel-nut
01-04-2015, 12:33 AM
My concern is I switch stocks and all the sudden my accuracy suffers. (I don't know squat about this stuff).

Thanks for the help.

In fairness, I've never owned an Axis. I do own several Boyd's stocks for Savage and other rifles.
I've had one rifle that actually shot better with the factory plastic stock than the laminate replacement stock I put on it. But not by a significant amount. Groups went up by maybe 1/4" on average. I do intend to bed this rifle with Devcon and I believe it will come back around. Even now, the slight loss in accuracy is more than offset by the improved looks, ergonomics, comfort, and the intangible fact that I just plain like it more. Plastic is cold and has no soul. Wood is good.
I've had a few that shot noticeably better with a laminate. Even without bedding, just dropping it in and going shoot.
I've also had a few that made no real difference in accuracy. One of those, a Savage 10FP, gave me one of the best groups I ever shot at 300 yds while wearing it's "crappy" plastic stock (and this one was pretty crappy). Yet, it still worked. I upgraded the stock, accuracy was essentially unchanged, but "shootability" and pride of ownership went way up.