PDA

View Full Version : Target action with Shilen 6br- what should I expect???

PeaceAndGreens
01-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Hey everybody, first time poster here. I have been lurking here for a little while, but decided to create an account now that I am beginning a savage rifle build. This will actually be my first ever rifle build. I recently ordered a dual port savage target action, 6BR Norma 8-twist 26" Shilen Stainless Select Match pre-fit bull barrel, and precision barrel nut and recoil lug. I don't have a stock yet, and haven't given any thought to optics and bases yet.

I know that the stock, optics, rest, and shooter ability all play large roles in shooting tiny groups, but what sort of accuracy can I reasonably expect from this setup? I plan to shoot anywhere from 100 to 600 yards (although the long range stuff will definitely take some practice on my part haha)

Thanks in advance! I can tell that this community is going to be a HUGE resource in the future.
PeaceAndGreens

Robinhood
01-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Seeing plenty of 6BR's in F class competition, I can say you will be very happy once you get your reloading down. The 6br in my neck of the woods fall second only to the 6 dasher. The 6 xc being right there with the dasher and maybe better at times but don't see many of them.

bionicbob
01-02-2015, 07:44 PM
I think you will love the 6br. I have the same barrel on a Stevens 200 action with a Richards Prone stock with Warne 20 moa rail and Warne 30mm tactical rings and a Leupold 8.5-25x50 lrt. I shoot long range steel out to 700 yards with it. I read in a few places that 6br`s like Lapua brass CCI 450 primers Sierra 107 MK and 30gr of Varget. Mine is jumping .015 thou at 2830 fps. My rifle shoots this load at .60 in at 200 yds. This is the only load i have shot. No need to look any farther.. The matches i shoot in require a rifle that will consistently shoot 1/2 moa. I wanted a 6 dasher but after getting a great deal on the 6br barrel and shooting it i will keep it a 6br. I think you will be VERY happy with the 6br Bionicbob

D.ID
01-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Assuming a solid stock, base, rings, optic yada yada yada..........just based on your foundation of action, barrel and assembly components: If you can shoot, handloads are dialed in and conditions are fair 0.1"-0.2" should be a very achievable expectation.

mattri
01-02-2015, 09:07 PM
PeaseAndGreens- Welcome to the site, lots of great info and great folks here.

Interesting enough I just started a project with those same components, a RBLP PTA and a 6br Shilen select match 26" bull with 1:8 twist, a .273 no turn neck and 0.98 freebore.

I too will be shooting out to 600.

For a stock I'm using a HS Precision set up for the three screw PTA and picked a 6-24 Viper PST for glass.

Best of luck, lets hope we chose well!

GaCop
01-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I've been shooting a 6mm BR for about three years now. My barrel is a Lothar Walther and is a tack driver.

PeaceAndGreens
01-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Good to hear. I am looking forward to putting this gun together and seeing what it will do. Its probably gonna be a while, though. As with all good things, it will take a while.

JTCrl
01-13-2015, 02:52 PM
You might also consider the Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger. I found it to be a big step up from the Savage target acu-trigger.