PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a model 12 vlp dbm problem.

fiveforfive
01-02-2015, 06:09 PM
I received my new model 12 vlp dbm .308 Win just before Christmas. Out of the box, I discovered a problem.

I first shot PMC 147gr factory ammo. No problem. Shot great.

Then I used a few handloads with 155gr Nosler Custom Competition. Two or three firings resulted in stuck cases.

I then used handloads with 168gr Sierra MKs and Nosler CCs. About 30-40 percent of them would not permit the bolt handle to lock down, as if they were too long. Of those that did fit, a few resulted in stuck cases. Powder was 41gr of IMR 4064. Lyman book says 40 is the starting weight. All were within spec. Bump gauge and caliper showed this. I always ensure my empty cases will chamber before I install primer and bullet.

I then tried a box of Silver State Armory (SSA) 175gr factory ammo. None of the 20 rounds would allow the bolt to lock down.

I also have a Savage model 16 in .308 Win. It has an identical action, but it does not have the bull barrel. All of the rounds mentioned above that would not allow the bolt handle lock down in the model 12 worked just fine in the model 16. I'm no gunsmith, but it's as if the barrel was screwed in a bit too far into the action, thus shortening the available chamber length.

Do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions before I call Savage next week? I appreciate your expertise.

foxx
01-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Check the extractor. Should flex in and out... try putting an empty case into the head to check for function.

Other than that, it sounds like it was head spaced too tight. A certain esteemed gunsmith who hangs out here and is more than a little bit familiar with Savage and the manufacturing process there will tell you it's almost impossible for that to happen, though. There are several "check points" to their process.

Maybe someone else has better idea.

Robinhood
01-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Any marks on the bullets themselves. If the bullet touches the lands it will scar the copper jacket. You can cover the shoulder and the bullet with a magic marker and try to close the bolt on the marked round. Remove the round and look for signs of a short chamber or bullet drag.

fiveforfive
01-03-2015, 01:54 PM
I agree with foxx that it sounds like too short headspace: fired cases getting stuck, even with minimal powder charge; the heavier the bullet, the more likely the bolt won't lock down; 0 of 20 factory 175gr rounds will allow the bolt handle to lock down; lots of scarring on the bullet copper jackets. I'll see what Savage has to say.

Hotolds442
01-03-2015, 02:31 PM
A lot of the 308 chambers Savage turns out lately have very short throats on them, you are most likely pushing your bullets deep into the lands while chambering. There are several threads here detailing the issue, most pertain to shooters trying to load Federal 175gr Gold Medal Match rounds and not being able to close the bolt. You should look closely at the ogive on your hand loads and check for signs of rifling cuts in the bullets. If your cartridges chamber properly before priming and seating, then it can only be a couple of things.
1. Your bullets are shoved into the lands.
2. Your cartridge necks are too large after seating the bullets.
3. Your seating die is set too low and deforming the case during seating because it's crimping the bullets too much

foxx
01-03-2015, 11:57 PM
My money is now on Hotolds... I had forgotten about the short throat "complaints."

Robinhood
01-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Good call 442.

fiveforfive
02-07-2015, 04:52 PM
UPDATE. I called Savage Jan. 5 and spoke to customer service about my problem. They had UPS pick up the rifle the next day. I hadn't heard anything in a while so I called them Feb. 5 for a status update. The guy said it was repaired and on its way back to me. In fact, it was to be delivered that day! My words were polite but my thoughts weren't. It required customer signature, so someone had to be home. Savage made no attempt to let me know ahead of time, even though they had my email and phone number.

I remounted my scope and took it to a 25 yard indoor range today to test it. Using 147 grain factory ammo, it zeroed easily and I could overlap my bullet holes. It had no problem chambering and firing my 175 grain SSA ammo. They changed out the barrel nut and the reference markings on the barrel were slightly further back from the barrel nut.

So, they fixed it and it didn't cost me anything, except a month's time without it.