having to take out a loan at the bank..
Appreciate your suggestions...:disturbed:

drybean
01-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Check out the Bald Eagle front rest at Bullets.Com

rjtfroggy
01-03-2015, 08:04 AM
http://drgreenlawmachining.com/

It won't break the bank but it is not cheap either. I bought one and my scores went up first time out. 1/3 of the price of the high end ones and IMO just as good. You can call him talk over your needs and wants and he will make it. He also did not want to be paid up front, emailed pics. when done then asked for payment and sent.
Good guy to work with. I highly recommend him.

noname
01-03-2015, 05:50 PM
hows about that cawldwell rock model ?:bolt:

sharpshooter
01-03-2015, 09:21 PM
hows about that cawldwell rock model ?:bolt:
I would'nt even consider it.....

noname
01-04-2015, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=sharpshooter;297307]I would'nt even consider it.....[/

you never have anything good to say about anything...Why is that?

JTCrl
01-04-2015, 03:19 PM
I've used the Caldwell Rock BR for several years. It's probably the cheapest "good" front rest available. I've also tried some costing 5 times as much. They are shiny. They Start conversations. Some make it easier to shoot well, some don't. It's important that the rest fits the forearm, it's mated to a good rear bag, and you learn how to position everything exactly the same way every time. The extra $800 or so you could invest in a rest might be better used for more ammo/practice.

sharpshooter
01-06-2015, 02:21 AM

If there's nothing good to say about it, I'm not going to praise it. I've been shooting competition for over 30 years and I've figured out what is good enough, what is not, and what is over rated.

yobuck
01-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Well read more carefully. I think most of those comments are with regard to poor quality products, and he calls them as he sees them.
I mean a cheap scope is just that, a cheap scope. Why would a cheap rest be any different?

acemisser
01-09-2015, 10:33 PM
I suppose you are correct in that..

barrel-nut
01-10-2015, 11:41 AM
I've used the Caldwell Rock BR for several years. It's probably the cheapest "good" front rest available. I've also tried some costing 5 times as much. They are shiny. They Start conversations. Some make it easier to shoot well, some don't. It's important that the rest fits the forearm, it's mated to a good rear bag, and you learn how to position everything exactly the same way every time. The extra $800 or so you could invest in a rest might be better used for more ammo/practice.

I'll go out on a limb here and second this. If this is all your budget will allow, by all means get it. I have two of them. They are most definitely not what you'd see on the benches at a true benchrest competition, but the OP never said anything about competition, either. They are at a level where, I'd say they are an entry-level "good" rest. They have some of the features that a higher-quality rest would have, like an adjustable fore-end stop, an integral level, and fine windage adjustments. They also have a feature that fine quality rests don't, that being cheap Chinese manufacturing tolerances. That being said, it is what it is. It's better than the cheap tripod rest from your local box store. It will not compare to a Hart, Sinclair, Greenlaw, etc. But if you are used to shooting off a sandbag front rest, or one of those cheap tripods, and this is all your budget will allow, then yes it will help you shoot a little better. Especially if you couple it with a high quality rear bag filled with heavy sand.
If you do get one, I'd suggest the carrying case that's sold separately. Also the top screw for the head assembly on mine kept working loose and causing group-destroying wobble until I tightened it down and epoxied it in place. Now it's wobble-free.
Like so many things in life, it all comes down to "What do I really NEED?, and How much do I want to spend?". I feel like this rest has a place somewhere in there, but in a different place for different people.

cowtownup
01-10-2015, 12:22 PM
So my ROCK JR. is....... not......... any.........good?........ Oh jesus I'm broke already...

barrel-nut
01-10-2015, 12:43 PM
If it helps you shoot better than you did before, then it's good for you and your situation. May or may not be the "best" for your situation. That's all I'm trying to say. No slams intended at all.

cowtownup
01-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Oh yeah I totally understand... I was just being funny also... I actually do use the ROCK JR. because thats what I can afford right now and it does help compared to sandbags with adjusting for the next shot... Which if I had a great setup there would be no adjusting I'm assuming.. Either way its all good... The joy is in the journey....

Robinhood
01-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I shoot better of a Sinclair gen 3 bipod than a poorly designed front rest.

noname
01-11-2015, 10:16 AM
:confused::confused: I have to wonder if you even shoot....did I say that? I appreciate all of your replies...:noidea:Now I have no
idea what to do...Stay with my cross sticks I guess....:boom:

Fotheringill
01-16-2015, 12:03 PM
The Bald Eagle is now out there at a DEEP discount. I don't know why the price was cut by more than 60%. No bags included.

I have a Greenlaw fully adjustable windage top and am extremely happy with it. Very well made and very responsive to even the most minor adjustments.

I was using a Caldwell BR rest. Adjustments were sloppy, the wheel always had lashback when locking down, putting pressure on one side of the forearm of the rifle. I did not like the bags on the top nor the screw down adjustments to have the rifle free recoil back and then slide forward.

One either gets what one can afford at the moment out of discretionary funds or waits.

1vakid
02-07-2015, 10:31 AM
I got a Caldwell BR . My grandson and I both use and it works just fine for the money I spent. The legs are hollow, so I took some B-B's, epoxy and filled up the hollow part on all the legs. It added a surprisingly amount of weight and made it much more stable. The only bench shooting I do is when working up loads and sighting in and it's more than good enough for that. Just my 2 cents.

yobuck
02-07-2015, 11:07 AM
:confused::confused: I have to wonder if you even shoot....did I say that? I appreciate all of your replies...:noidea:Now I have no
idea what to do...Stay with my cross sticks I guess....:boom:

I dont think you ever stated what your intended use for the rest is.
If its strictly for serious benchrest shooting at (targets), then listen to someone like Sharpshooter as to whats best.
If its to be used for just casual bench shooting as in zeroing a gun, then sand bags or a bipod will suffice as will the cheaper front rests.
For serious hunting from a bench,a bipod will work well and would be more flexable than a rest, but it isnt the best either. No one size fits all situations.

limige
02-07-2015, 12:07 PM
For long range work i would consider a sinclair international F class bipod. ..its on sale right now;)

If your talking hunting with it go with a Harris or atlas.