PDA

View Full Version : 10/110 FCP Firing Pin Re-assembly

rolotomassi
01-02-2015, 04:44 AM
Hi all,

I've got a 10/110 FCP chambered in 338LM and decided to replace the OEM spring with a Wolff Spring (32lb Long Action).

Admittedly I very foolishly did not take measurements prior to dissassembly and am at a loss about appropriate distances. Tried looking at thread below, but maybe I missed this information: does anyone have the correct distances from the tip of the firing pin to the firing pin stop nut and the correct length of the firing pin spring? I did somehow manage to put everything back together but can't shake the feeling it's incorrectly reassembled...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?14325-Savage-Firing-Pin-Info-and-question-requested

Thank you all for your time and replies.

BillPa
01-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Don't worry about the nut to tip length. Set the bolthead on the firing pin then adjust the nut for .030"-.035" protrusion.
http://i59.tinypic.com/nqcnc5.jpg
After that adjust the cocking piece so the cocking piece pin has a few thousandths clearance at the bottom of the ramp or as close as the assembly ( cocking piece, sleeve, lock washer) will allow without making contact.

But why the 32# spring? In spite of all the claims all its going to do is increase the bolt lift, nothing more. The factory spring(25#?) it more than enough to ignite any primer and support the indentation. If it doesn't you have another problem(s).

Bill

rolotomassi
01-05-2015, 02:44 AM
Don't worry about the nut to tip length. Set the bolthead on the firing pin then adjust the nut for .030"-.035" protrusion.

After that adjust the cocking piece so the cocking piece pin has a few thousandths clearance at the bottom of the ramp or as close as the assembly ( cocking piece, sleeve, lock washer) will allow without making contact.

But why the 32# spring? In spite of all the claims all its going to do is increase the bolt lift, nothing more. The factory spring(25#?) it more than enough to ignite any primer and support the indentation. If it doesn't you have another problem(s).

Bill
Thank you Sir! I eyeballed it but I think I got to about that much. Took it out to the range and I'm 10/10 and dimples on primers look on point (want to start reloading, still hurts that 10 rounds = ~$25 dollars). Though, I have a peculiar way of putting the bolt back into the rifle. Most videos have people screwing in that nut that secures the bolt handle prior to loading it into the rifle. I have to put the bolt in first and then screw in that nut.

In any event thanks for your time and help.