PDA

View Full Version : new here with ?? about 223

noname
01-01-2015, 10:44 PM
want to make me a 223 for bench shootin..
maybe out to 250 or a litter more..will a 1in12
twist barrel work...friend has a 1in9 but it isnt
no good with light bollets like he was told would
work in it..he uses 69 gr now..

snowgetter1
01-02-2015, 04:36 AM
A 50 or 55 grain bullet will work fine out to that range.

noname
01-02-2015, 11:59 AM
A 50 or 55 grain bullet will work fine out to that range.

So what do you recommend for a barrel..stainless
or chrome moly..varmit or bull...I want to get
a good shooter as I can..Thanks:afro:

noname
01-02-2015, 12:07 PM
This board is specifically for those of you who are decisionally impaired and need someone else to tell you what to buy/build and/or how to spend your money.

I like that...about the truth of things as well..

foxx
01-02-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't think the SS or c/m will affect accuracy. C/M is a little less expensive, usually. I like my hunting barrels blued. If I do use SS for a hunting barrel, I want it bead blasted to matte finish. Target SS barrels can look really sharp when polished, especially if you go for a bright colored, high gloss stock. I have the sense that SS can be better lapped so as to make it easier to clean.

Varmint contour is more practical, I think. But, if it is purely a bench gun, as you say, then go bull. The added weight and stiffness surely can't hurt. Might be tougher to get inexpensive stocks for it, though.

I doubt any of this will affect accuracy out to 300 or even 500 yards.

FOr vendors, check out Northland Shooter Supply, Sharp Shooter Supply, McGowen Outlet, Gun Shack and Apache Gun Works. Apache is a small operation that does great work, (specializes in barrels only) uses what is more likely to be newer, fresher reamers (whose to say how new someone else's tools are, but it makes sense that his are gonna be new, anyways, simply b/c of his low volume) and can work within your particular budget, whatever that may be.

JTCrl
01-02-2015, 12:55 PM
My Target Action 223 had a 26" bull barrel, 9 twist. Early in life it liked the 52 and 55 flat based bullets but as it "matured" it preferred heavier/longer bullets. Did it's best with Berger 73HPBT target bullets.

Switched to a Shilen varmint contour with a 12 twist. Shoots the 52 and 55s quite well, haven't really worked with anything heavier yet. You can expect about 65 gn to be as heavy as will stabilize in a 12 twist.

What works for your buddy is not likely to be the load that works the best for you, you'll have to figure out what your rifle likes but then, isn't that what makes it fun?

Do you intend to compete with this rifle?

noname
01-02-2015, 01:26 PM
yes,it is my plan to do some competeing with it if possible

JTCrl
01-02-2015, 10:00 PM
In that case you need to consider the weight of the rifle. My target action with a 22" Shilen still comes in at 11lb 6oz, almost a pound too heavy to qualify for IBR light varmint class. Haven't been able to come up with a stock that weighs 2lb 2oz to bring it down. Check with the range(s) near you to see what criteria they use. Some are going to "Ultimate Bench Rest) which uses different criteria as does long range bench rest.