PDA

View Full Version : A New Year's word to Newcomers

pisgah
01-01-2015, 05:21 PM
First of all – WELCOME! By subscribing to this Forum, you have made a decision to increase your knowledge of a field that is new to you, and that is commendable. Hopefully the regular contributors will give you all the information you need to enjoy your new pursuit in safety and with great satisfaction. I am currently subscribed to six online firearms Forums and find much of value in all of them, and my hope is that you will, too. But allow me to pass along a word of caution. These comments are not focused in this Forum alone, mind you, but to all similar sites online, and I will post the same message on every one in which I participate.

Probably 25% of the information you will find here is solid gold, posted by people who really know their stuff. They have not only read every available bit of published information on their subject but have also expended considerable time and resources to find arcane, long-out-of-print materials that contain stuff that was true 100 years ago and is still true today. Then, they have put that knowledge to the test by actually building those firearms themselves, or making up those loads and testing them systematically, or hunting those critters, or going armed in to harm’s way and living to tell about it. They’ll tell it like it is, warts and all, and will be as eager to tell you of their blunders as they are to brag of their triumphs. Treasure what you learn from them.

Another 25% have done at least the first part of the above – they’ve read it all! They’ve compared all their sources, thought it all through, and reached what they believe to be, and often are, reasonable conclusions. The only thing they lack is experience – and unfortunately, many of them are reluctant to admit that fact. No real criticism meant here – it’s human nature-- but you should always apply at least a grain of salt to what they advise.

25% of posters have read innumerable gun magazines, and they’ve spent time soaking up local gun shop lore. Here, I begin to advise real caution on your part. I read gun magazines, too, but keep in mind that many gun magazine writers have less-than-pure motives. They are writing to make money, dealing with deadlines, depending on manufacturers for access to new products. To write something critical, even if clearly called-for, can be too much like biting the hand that feeds them. Honestly, some never seem to encounter a single bad gun or load – and that, frankly, is not just unlikely but downright impossible. As for gun shop "experts" – I will state this flat-out – there is no better source of out-and-out BS available.

The final 25% – well, what can I say? Some are trying to sell something, period. Some are cranks who know nothing of what they speak, but are seeking some twisted sense of self-esteem by deceiving others in to thinking them "experts". And some I can only believe are pursuing their own malevolent agenda with no regard to those who may be hurt by their foul spoutings.

Don’t let me discourage you. There is real gold to be mined here but, just as in life, there is no free lunch. Don’t expect to be spoon-fed everything you need to know; if something you hear here sounds good, great – but remember Ronald Reagan and "Trust, but verify!"

Again, welcome, and best of luck to you in your new endeavors.

barrel-nut
01-01-2015, 05:42 PM
^ Great advice here. The trick, especially for a newbie, is sifting the wheat from the chaff.

Fenrir
01-01-2015, 08:02 PM
This is the most delusional comment I have ever seen on the internet. 75% of what you read on this forum is pure BS. It’s worse than a TV commercial during a football game. Its pure hype, intended to convince you that the rest of the hype you find here is all well and good. All you need to do is search outside this mioptyic world known as the internet and you will soon figure it out for yourself. Get a mind of your own, don’t believe everything you read!

foxx
01-01-2015, 09:44 PM
This is the most delusional comment I have ever seen on the internet. 75% of what you read on this forum is pure BS. It’s worse than a TV commercial during a football game. Its pure hype, intended to convince you that the rest of the hype you find here is all well and good. All you need to do is search outside this mioptyic world known as the internet and you will soon figure it out for yourself. Get a mind of your own, don’t believe everything you read!

Define BS.

If 75% of what's on this forum is pure BS, then why even be here?

I question your math, but your quote certainly deserves getting dumped in the chit pile.

JTCrl
01-01-2015, 09:47 PM

PLEASE explain to us why you are even here to comment on this post!:ambivalence:

barrel-nut
01-01-2015, 09:51 PM
I read the original as meaning that 25% is BS. I think this is a little bit of an exaggeration, but I don't think the intent was to give a scientific statistical analysis, but merely to kinda sorta categorize the types of posters you may run into on the net and to caution newbies to be aware. Take things with a grain of salt. I don't think he intended to say that 75% of what you read on this forum is BS. That's not how I read it anyway.

foxx
01-01-2015, 10:07 PM
I read the original as meaning that 25% is BS. I think this is a little bit of an exaggeration, but I don't think the intent was to give a scientific statistical analysis, but merely to kinda sorta categorize the types of posters you may run into on the net and to caution newbies to be aware. Take things with a grain of salt. I don't think he intended to say that 75% of what you read on this forum is BS. That's not how I read it anyway.

Barrel-nut, I did not take offense to the OP's statement, either. It was post #3 that ticked me off as sounding like something that would only come from a blow-hard @ss hole that needs to find a new place to spread his crap rather than make such a claim about ANY forum.

barrel-nut
01-01-2015, 11:55 PM
All good foxx :-)
Happy happy happy

ragsflh
01-02-2015, 06:19 AM
hap hap new yr

JTCrl
01-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Barrel-nut, I did not take offense to the OP's statement, either. It was post #3 that ticked me off as sounding like something that would only come from a blow-hard @ss hole that needs to find a new place to spread his crap rather than make such a claim about ANY forum.

Ditto

Bodydub
01-02-2015, 02:30 PM
I hate to say it guys, but reading this thread is something a newbie shouldn't see. It causes doubts and speculation about the threads and replies in any threads. Now I now that I am a still wet behind the ears noobie, but I will do research and read thread after thread on this or any forum to put any doubts to rest when it comes to a savage firearm question. Hope my reply doesn't ruffle any feathers, just giving my 2cents......

foxx
01-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I hate to say it guys, but reading this thread is something a newbie shouldn't see. It causes doubts and speculation about the threads and replies in any threads. Now I now that I am a still wet behind the ears noobie, but I will do research and read thread after thread on this or any forum to put any doubts to rest when it comes to a savage firearm question. Hope my reply doesn't ruffle any feathers, just giving my 2cents......

No, you are right. Why say, "Good info here if you are smart enough to know chit from shinola"?! I'm guessing that when I am 100 years old and full of all the wisdom of Solomon and have had all the experience necessary to offer a helping hand to a fellow shooter, I'll understand why "old bulls" resent input from "young bulls" and would rather just run them out of the pasture! :)

Elgin
01-02-2015, 10:11 PM
To me it doesn't matter where the info comes from, I always confirm it before I take it to heart. Once you have the details it's usually not that difficult to confirm or deny it. Research is the key.

Happy new year everyone!

foxx
01-02-2015, 10:19 PM
To me it doesn't matter where the info comes from, I always confirm it before I take it to heart. Once you have the details it's usually not that difficult to confirm or deny it. Research is the key.

Happy new year everyone!

Oh, yeah, Elgin, insert reason into this fiasco!

Happy new year to you as well.

Elgin
01-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Oops, sorry Foxx!

75% is BS? More like 84.67%! That's a factual number! I read it on the interweb! ;)

foxx
01-02-2015, 10:41 PM
You're probably right, Elgin.

I forgot to factor-in YOUR contribution to this site! LOL!