PDA

View Full Version : SF vs. CF

dakotamike
12-31-2014, 11:54 PM
I have been planning on ordering a barrel from Apache the next time that orders open. It will be a 6.5-06 AI, heavy sporter, threaded for a brake. Long story short, due to a series of injuries, my shoulder can no longer comfortably handle my Sendero in 300WM.

I came across a used stainless round back, stagger-feed 30-06 in a local shop today. They are asking $450 with a Nikon Monarch on it. The barrel and the stock are fairly scratched up, but the action is in good shape and I will be bead blasting it. I suppose my question is, should I wait and try to pick up a center-feed for the better feeding?

I was thinking about mounting it in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. If I were to have it inletted, could I use CF bottom metal with the SF action?

Thanks for the knowledge.

seanhagerty
01-01-2015, 10:07 AM
This is a great question. I have wondered the same thing myself.

Robinhood
01-01-2015, 03:57 PM
There are some differences between the machining of the two action at the magazine port. I cant remember but some removal of metal at the rear of the stagger feed action mag port might facilitate the use of the center feed magazine.

The Nikon scope is worth over 250 and possibly more so that is a fair deal on the price as long as the scope is not damaged.