PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a new stock.

Big Ray Ray
04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey folks I'm hoping maybe one of you guys could help me. I would really like to have a nice walnut stock for my Savage F-Class. I don't know if they're are any stock makers out there working with this caliber of wood and checkering. If there is I'd like to have their number.
http://www.serengetirifles.com/assets/images/features.jpg
http://www.patsgunrepair.com/image/33685210.jpg

With these types of features.
http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/ginormous/12palma.png

Thanks for any help guys. I know it's going to cost money but I'm prepared if I can find a maker.

rjtfroggy
04-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Joel Russo phone 1 717 805-0940 I'll see if I have his web site.

As stated I looked through my listings so here are his web addresses;
jkrusso@comcast.net--- that is to get in touch with him

www.russoriflestocks.com--- this one shows his styles, his work,types of exotic woods he uses all with pictures and it has his contact info listed.
Good luck with choosing and if you decide to do one allow for ample time it takes longer than expected.

I have one on order. I haven't seen one up close yet but trusted the opinions of the guys here and ordered one the last week of Dec. should of been here first week of Feb. but he had problems with the wood.

McKinneyMike
04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Joel can do the stock for sure, but the checkering is another story. Check out Dennis Smith for the checkering at http://www.thestockdr.com/.

McKinneyMike
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I was just talking to Joel. He is really kind of lost as to what you are referring to exactly? His typical turn around time is 8-10 weeks for standard style w/o a lot extras. A full blown custom with exotic woods and custom rifle as part of the build may take a good while as often the parts are not readily available all at one time. Are you sure that you are referring to Joel and not someone else? I think that he is going to pop on here when he gets home this afternoon. I have never known Joel to take long more than 2-3 months to get a stock out, even as backlogged as he always is. Craftsmanship is not something I want to rush myself. He is building a Bubinga and Anigre stock for me right now. The hold up is me right now as I continue to change my mind on what action I am going to use for this rifle. Never dealt with a guy that is more professional and truly cares about what he does than Joel Russo.

rjtfroggy
04-28-2010, 05:10 PM
McKinneyMike take a look at my post for how long it has taken,and I know for a fact another member has been waiting almost as long as me(both yellow/black).I spoke with Joel this morning and he now says it should be here at the end of next week. I'll just cross my fingers.

McKinneyMike
04-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe he likes me or something, but never had to wait very long at all. Been very quick and always looked fantastic when they arrived. I see he had an issue with the wood. Maybe the color of blank that you requested was not readily available. Again never had any issues with Joel or taking longer than he said that it would (within reason of course).

TOO Builder
04-29-2010, 12:32 AM
I just finished up my fourth build with a stock from Joel. 2-3 months wait maybe but very much worth the wait. I can't imagine it would be many months unless there is a very good explination. He cuts the stocks exactly how I want them and is very good to work with.

For custom stuff like he does I would always plan well in advance however I have not been disappointed yet!!

BTW, give me a couple days to finally get some good pics and I will have a post of his latest work for me.

Big Ray Ray
04-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Wow thanks guys I'm definitely going to contact Russo. If someone were to throw a ball park at me, am I in the thousand dollar range for what I want or is it in the couple thousand dollar range.

TOO Builder
04-29-2010, 01:04 AM
I have never talked checkering with Joel but I don't think he does it. Inlet, shape and finish if you want it. I always bed and finish my own.

I would think the checkering work would add considerably to the price of the stock. I wouldn't even want to venture a guess. However big of a bat you have and how far you want to hit it and the ball park is yours ;D

McKinneyMike
04-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Hold on there partner! Do I know you? I don't think so, so please do not jump to any conclusions. I don't have to "run back" and tell anyone anything. Once someone says something on the internet, it is like a rifle shot. It carries for a long ways and heard by many. U was on this forum, when Joel called me about my new stock. Lighten up there big fella.

rjtfroggy
04-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Big ray now I'm sorry I gave you the info, your post is getting highjacked.Putting it bluntly Joel does exceptional work(so I've been told)but you will wait for it.

McKinneyMike
04-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Big ray now I'm sorry I gave you the info, your post is getting highjacked.Putting it bluntly Joel does exceptional work(so I've been told)but you will wait for it.

Never taken any longer than the time that he told me up front. What was the reason for the delay on your stock? I have never heard of anyone else having any issues either until this thread. Did he give you a reason for the delay?

rjtfroggy
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
McMike read the past post. I won't highjack this thread nor will I get into a peeing contest, I have my reasons for being upset and maybe when my stock is delivered I will get into it.

pd721el
04-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Are you in the midwest? If so look at Cliff's Gunsmithing in Castlewood SD. He biult my first custom rifle and stripped and refinnished a Browning 325 Citori for me. His has a shop at home now, but was a stock maker for Dakota Arms. His wood work is very nice. He also has a Allen replicator, so if you have a shape you like he can copy it. About two years ago he bought a semi load of very nice AA, AAA annd nice blanks. So he has some nice stuff on hand. I can get you his number if you like.