PDA

View Full Version : Should a barrel be used twice ?

Hammer
09-12-2009, 01:38 PM
In prairie doggin', should the same barrel ever be used on two different hunts ?

As a matter of proper etiquette, should different prairie doggin' trips always start with virgin barrels ?

ctrout
09-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Depends on if you shoot the barrel out in one hunt. If the barrel still has life in it, shoot it until it's dead. Hoard your virgin barrels until it becomes to manufacture barrels.

jlcpls
09-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Keep using them.

They should only be retired when they are at the top of their game. Like quarterbacks.

outlawkyote
09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I cant beleive what Im hearing. Never ever use the same barrel on two different PD hunts. Prairie dogs need the dignity of having new barrels kill them. After the PD hunt, gotta finish that barrel off shooting coyotes.

Hammer
09-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Like quarterbacks.

Like Brett Favre ?

TOO Builder
09-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Mr. Hammer,

I shot prairie dogs last weekend with two very un-virgined barrels. It seemed to give me very similar satisfaction as to using virgin barrels. If it bothers you however, please contact me for my shipping address and I will relieve you of your un-virgins. The only difference I could really tell is that virgin barrels tend to spin the dogs clockwise through the air while un-virgins spin them counterclockwise. TB

Eric in NC
09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
You should use no taper barrels that are threaded and chambered at each end. They should be swapped end for end after the first shoot.

That way you can use them twice before they become gate hinges or tomato stakes.

dcloco
09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
If you are taking pictures (hunting) different prairie dogs, then, YES, it is ok to use the barrel over. Same prairie dogs or from the same blood lines, no, definitely not. See Prairie Dog Barrel Etiquette, section B, sub 2a.

jlcpls
09-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Like quarterbacks.

Like Brett Favre ?

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may offend Savage parts suppliers located in the state of Minnesota......

Blue Avenger
09-12-2009, 11:27 PM
LOL ya know why Iowa has no pro sports teams??

MN would want one too!

Blue Avenger
09-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Now I always thought that part of the battle was to use the same barrel until it is shot out and see who is left standing! one per town.

BrentWin
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
While no one can deny the pleasing sensation of a virgin barrel, one must also appreciate the more "experienced" barrel. While her lands and grooves may not be as tight as they once were, she still knows her way around a PD town.

jlcpls
09-13-2009, 08:38 PM
While no one can deny the pleasing sensation of a virgin barrel, one must also appreciate the more "experienced" barrel. While her lands and grooves may not be as tight as they one were, she still knows her way around a PD town.

I can see Brent's PD shoot.

a coyote skin shooting rug

nice campfire

Van Morrison Moondance CD

a dozen oysters......

dcloco
09-13-2009, 11:46 PM
While no one can deny the pleasing sensation of a virgin barrel, one must also appreciate the more "experienced" barrel. While her lands and grooves may not be as tight as they one were, she still knows her way around a PD town.

.....and how to make the MOST out of EVERY shot! :)

BrentWin
09-14-2009, 08:19 AM
.....and how to make the MOST out of EVERY shot!

Most definately, after all, I am not good for as many shots as I was as a teenager ;)

As a side note, I have noticed that barrels that I aquire from other shooters often perform better for me than they did for their previous owner. Perhaps I am more in tune with their needs and emotions. They appreciate the fact that I always run a patch soaked with Kroil down their bore before I insert the first round. I guess I am just a sensitive caring kind of guy. ::)

river grant
10-01-2009, 02:09 PM
LOL

I'm picturing Ron Jeremy at the shooting bench with some slappy funk rythms playing in the background. I'm wondering if the background music can improve my groups??

Ron Jeremy......you wanna talk about a shot out barrel??
I can see it in the classifieds....10" tube, improperly broken in, shot hard, put away wet, under 200,000 rounds.

I'm sorry if this post offends anybody but it is just in parallel.

desertdog
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
now thats some funny sh!* i dont care who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol! lol!

pa hog
12-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I met Ron Jeremy on his comedy tour,,funny story...What are prairie dog anyways?

Three44s
12-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I caught some PD's trying to sneek just one more bit of sunshine before hibernating and they told me they concurred with all the above posts.

::)

Three 44s