PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to swicth to a mangum roun

Cat 64
12-31-2014, 03:41 PM
I have a target action RBLP with a .473 bolt face (.308) an would like to start shooting a 7 mm SAUM and need a bolt to accommodate that round which would fit my action. Do I need a whole bolt (if yes where can I find one) and if I have to transform the bolt myself what do I need? Someone suggested I would need a bolt head, a baffle (can't I use the one I have now?) and a firing pin? Is this accurate? Thank you and Happy New Year.

clintsrv
12-31-2014, 07:42 PM
Should just be bolt head and firing pin.

bootsmcguire
01-01-2015, 02:33 AM
You could just get a LA-Magnum bolt head and shorten the stem to the SA stem length. Then recut the chamfer in the pin hole and presto...........SA Magnum bolthead. You can still use your standard firing pin, just adjust the protrusion length for the new head and you are set to go. Done it myself a couple times now and it works great.

Any competent machine shop should be able to easily handle the task.

DrThunder88
01-01-2015, 04:47 AM
Heck, I did it with a drill press, a file, and a couple of vises! I also used a belt grinder with surface conditioning belt to dehorn the outer edge, I guess, but I probably could have done that by hand.

Cat 64
01-05-2015, 06:03 PM
No experienced gunsmith on this site who can answer this question? I am sure are guys out here who know the answer in detail.

bootsmcguire
01-05-2015, 10:40 PM
PM sent