PDA

View Full Version : Bedding question

cornstalker
04-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Maybe this should have gone to the stock forum. Wasn't sure, so here we go.

I am working on bedding my 12. It has a machined lug from Northland. The index on the lug is a socket head machine screw.

The allen head opening on the screw peaks out a little under the receiver, creating what appears to be a perfect cavity for a small mechanical lock with the bedding compound. How should I prep this? Pack it full of clay? Tape?

I look forward to hearing your opinions and advice, thanks.

drybean
04-27-2010, 10:48 PM
not to fret about bed as normal use kiwi as relase agent

cornstalker
04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
The fruit, the shoe polish, or leather lotion? ;D

dcloco
04-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Use a dab of modeling clay.

Wait until you have to bed a Remington - Use a little bit of clay on them.

After adding the clay, lightly coat the clay with your release agent (I prefer Mother's Carnuba car wax).

dcloco
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Forgot to add...make sure your lug sits flat with the action. Sometimes the recess for the lug pin is not deep enough for the aftermarket recoil lug pins/bolt/screw.

cornstalker
04-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Forgot to add...make sure your lug sits flat with the action. Sometimes the recess for the lug pin is not deep enough for the aftermarket recoil lug pins/bolt/screw.

Well, I believe that is an issue as well. There appears to be a small gap there. How do you fix that?

I would guess that could create one hell of an accuracy destroying harmonic........

drybean
04-27-2010, 11:52 PM
just releave the areas that you are consorted about|
to layers of blue painters on the front an sides of the recoil lug
never try ed the fruit always used the shoe wax

cornstalker
04-28-2010, 12:01 AM
just releave the areas that you are consorted about

Let's leave my wife out of this............

:D

drybean
04-28-2010, 12:15 AM
yust trying to help
drybean

cornstalker
04-28-2010, 12:29 AM
And I appreciate it. Just messin' around.

Thanks.

dcloco
04-28-2010, 12:41 AM

Well, I believe that is an issue as well. There appears to be a small gap there. How do you fix that?

I would guess that could create one **** of an accuracy destroying harmonic........

I relieve the space in the action. You could do remove metal from the lug screw as well...your choice.

cornstalker
04-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks dc, looks like it's time to peel 'er apart again. That might explain some odd groups I was getting Sunday. Glad you brought it up before I completed the bedding on my new stock.

ICUDIEN,
I'll be over this weekend for teardown. (If you are not busy)