PDA

View Full Version : Fired up to do first personal build! Help with purchase sequence, please.

Old Medic
12-31-2014, 11:15 AM
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I couldn't find a "by the numbers for dummies" thread explaining what basic components are necessary. For the pure satisfaction of having done it myself, I want to build a 6.5 Creedmoor and would really appreciate some help. I won't be competing for money, or taking it into combat. I just want a self-built 6.5 CM with the potential for exceptional accuracy. Will any Savage 10 short action work? Should I buy a used model 10 and then order a barrel, let's say, from E. R. Shaw (I like their helical fluting)? What's the easiest components for a newbie to work with? I supposed I'm looking for a simple, military style, by-the-numbers tutorial from some of you "builders" who have been down this road. Thanks to those who have the time? Hoo-ah!

Would I be better off finding a used .308 size bolt (243, 7-08, 308) and doing a .260? That would probably be easier to find, huh?

txbdyguard
12-31-2014, 12:33 PM
What is on the action now if you have one?

jpdown
12-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Any Savage SA model (10, 11, 12, 14, 16) would work for a 6.5 Creedmore build. For builds, I usually buy a new Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP rifle in the current "most wanted" calibers (260, 6.5 Creedmore) and sell the Nikon BDC package scope ($90+), factory stock ($30+) and .260 or 6.5 Creedmore sporter barrel ($120+) as new take-off parts to generate cash for the aftermarket barrel (CBI, McGowen), stock and scope I prefer. Replace the standard Accutrigger spring with a varmint/target spring will allow adjustment of trigger pull down to around 1.5 lbs.

I recommend becoming a paid member on this site. It will give you access to the member classifieds, "how to" articles and free advice. Members sell used Savage actions, barrels, stocks and parts all the time at very reasonable prices.

LongRange
12-31-2014, 09:37 PM
personally...if building from ground up....
savage target action NSS
NSS lug and nut
riffle basix SAV2 trigger
260rem or 260AI...shilen tactical and have chambered long to fit long VLD bullets..send in dummy rounds to chamber to
bell carlson A-5 stock or wait for a mcmillin
glass...well thats up to you but expect to pay at least half you riffle for good glass and as much or twice for great glass

jonbearman
12-31-2014, 10:46 PM
You will need a receiver wrench and savage nut wrench also at NSS along with a ptg go gage.

strut64
01-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Part of the project will also have to include be reloading gear. competition die set with bushing die & precision micrometer bullet seating die (think of Redding). overall case length gauge, bullet seating depth comparator, neck turning rig, case trimmer, good powder measuring scales and set of chamber head space gauges. seems to be a lot of expense but if you want to achieve top accuracy this will get you into the game. Enjoy the experience. I started last April and am still along the learning curve to build a 6BR. Most good shooters don't think of ER Shaw as a starting point. I went with Shilen.

Starfighter_F104X
01-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Is the price for an aftermarked barrel between 100 and 150$ only ?

Steelhead
01-04-2015, 03:43 PM
I built my 260 off of a 11 action with a Shilen barrel.

Spend as much as possible on the barrel, if you cant swing a Shilen or similar cost barrel look to Apache barrels at the minimum(from everything I've read his barrels a VERY GOOD), a lug and possibly a barrel nut are other things to look at.