PDA

View Full Version : Been researching and now really confused!

semocoachworks
12-31-2014, 01:18 AM
Hello all. I have managed to completely researched myself into utter confusion. I'm looking to buy a 22-250 for coyote and prairie dog. The 2 I have in my sights(no pun intended), a 112 heavy barrel non accu trigger, no optic, thick bolt handle for $369. The other one is supposedly a model 11with accutrigger, internal mag, has the bolt release like my 110 243 right side above trigger. It has a junk Bushnell 3x9 on it. $400 for this one. Both are synthetic stock. Both are advertised with low round count. I don't mind packing the heavy barrel between stands. I don't mind buying a good optic. You guys have been mentioned in a lot of the reading I have done so I guess I'm asking you all, which one looks like the better deal from what I've provided? Are both models easily upgraded barrel trigger wise if I decide to? Are they both overpriced? Thank you. By the way, I have not yet seen either rifle, just pictures.

darkker
12-31-2014, 02:09 AM
Yikes...
Will you only ever be showed to have one rifle? What do you want?
I've had enough Savages over several decades to know that the crap-U-trigger, just like all things Savage, suffer from wretched QC. They aren't worth warm horse shyte in my book, I've had far to many good triggers to go backwards in life. I have friends who have never had very good triggers, they think they are wonderful things. Who is "Right"? We both are, what do you want & what are you willing to tolerate/fix?
That Bushnell is a tin can, both stocks (assuming factory Savage, not HS) are Tupperware. So in my mind, they are telling you that a "magic" trigger, and package scope are worth $31..…. I think that is about what they are worth, yes. ;)

Seriously, take the cheaper one, adjust the trigger properly, buy a decent scope, consider a stock that is comfortable and enjoy.

Oh, yes, all savages can be re-barreled as easily as one another. As for "over-priced", you are already online, so look at them yourself. What can you find them for new and used, then decide.

semocoachworks
12-31-2014, 02:34 AM
Thanks Darkker, I knew that Bushnell was crapola. I didn't even consider that gun as having a scope. I'm thinking a Boyds on the 112 since they are just a couple hours down the road. I live in the sticks so before I go driving all over, just wanted a good opinion between these two. I have for years been shooting a 110 in 243 and 110 in 30-06. Never had a reason to shop around. They have both kept the freezer full. I'm trying to keep from having to sew coyote pelts from the 243 exit wound. Thank you for the input, good or otherwise, it is always welcome!

bootsmcguire
12-31-2014, 02:40 AM
Out of the 2 I would also go for the 112, but for different reasons than darker.

I agree that assuming both guns are wearing Tupperware a stock upgrade may be in order. Chances are that the 112 is wearing a 3-screw trigger so that is a decent trigger to work with as far a factory triggers go. I am one of those folks that actually like the accu-trigger, at least for field usage. But the 3-screw is a better trigger when properly tuned, as far as feel and poundage. The heavier barrel that should be on the 112 will help with consistency on the p-dog towns it will let you shoot a fair bit longer.

semocoachworks
12-31-2014, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the input Boots. It does have the heavy barrel. They both have the low grade plastic. I'll be going to pick the 112 up in the morning. Thanks again for the replies. Its nice to find folks dedicated to the savage that can help a guy out. All my old savages are kept clean and I consider each of them a "go to " gun. They've never let me down. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Thanks again!

JCalhoun
12-31-2014, 02:02 PM
The 112 may have an aftermarket trigger already.

semocoachworks
12-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Haven't investigated that yet. Just got it home. I'll tear it down and clean it good tonight and see if it has any goodies!