PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Before I Buy?

offtarget
12-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Will be buying in near future, next couple months. Have some questions that hopefully will help me decide.
I will only be shooting at paper or steel targets, no hunting. My local range has 100, 300, and soon will have 500 meter targets. Honestly I don't see myself ever shooting any farther than that.

1 Is a heavy barrel more accurate, or better than standard?
2 Is there a best caliber for what I am wanting to do. THIS ONE WILL GET MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS.
3 I will be hand loading.
4 Does Savage have a package that will do what I want, or would I need to purchase scope rings separate?

This rifle will be mostly for fun, and a sometimes match at local range.
Thanks in advance for your help.

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Lbass
12-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Paper only at a max of 5-600yds... I'ld get a .223. It's cheap to hand load, factory ammo is cheap and plentiful. You can shoot American Eagle factory loads and keep the brass for reloading at 7.50 a box for FMJ. I'ld be looking for a 1-7 to 1-9 twist for heavier bullets like the a-max or SMK, they're more forgiving with wind calls. They will drop faster, but it's easier for me to adjust elevation than windage.

My opinion on barrels is standards are just as accurate but may string shots vertically when getting hot. It takes longer for the heavy barrel to get hot, but it's also slower to cool.

223 is gentle on recoil.

barrel-nut
12-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.
1. Not necessarily, but a heavy barrel is generally "better" than a standard contour for your stated purposes, for several reasons- rigidity and heat management chiefly.
2. 6 BR would be my choice
3. Good
4. Package- as in including optics? Not really. In my opinion, you'd get the best rifle for your money by building your own with a high quality barrel, rather than buying a factory offering. This is, of course, debatable.
5. What is your budget, and would you consider a build, or are you looking at factory rifles only?

offtarget
12-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Thanks for your help.
Don't want to do a build, so that would put me on the factory rifle side.
Have looked online at Savage web site their "Target Models" are more than I am wanting to spend.
Don't have a set $$ but don't won't to look back and say, I messed up either.
Even though I said not wanting to build that is not to say , I am not saying I won't do upgrades down the road.

barrel-nut
12-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Go to the Savage website. Click on the Firearms tab, then Browse models, then 12 Series Varmint. Then 12 LRPV Left Port. This rifle in 6BR Norma should be a shooter.
BTW, don't pay much attention to the MSRP. You should be able to find this rifle for considerably less, maybe 2/3 of MSRP.
Just my opinion.

barrel-nut
12-31-2014, 12:15 AM
Here's one in .223 for $912.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=460816223

bootsmcguire
12-31-2014, 12:19 AM
Look real hard at a 12FV in 223. It will be a great starter for you, and you upgrade later as you grow with your gun. I have had them in 204, 223, 22-250, and 308. All 4 of them were very accurate out of the box with good ammo. All but the 308 have been used to build other things over time, but the 308 is so reliable and accurate that I have promised myself never to mess with it. Point is a 12FV is very capable and should treat you well, and the 223 is good for the reasons mentioned above by LBass.

Pick out your own rings and bases, and might I suggest the Burris Signature Zee rings. Best rings I have found so far, and with the interchangeable inserts it gives you the option to add up to roughly 40MOA elevation to your optics.

FWIW I do agree with barrel-nut that the best all around chambering for your purposes would be the 6BR. Down the road though it's just a barrel swap and bolthead change away.

Fotheringill
12-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Re: MSRP- for Savage 12 in .223 Target Accu-Trigger, 1:7 twist and Target action with 30" bull barrel- goes on line retail for $1200 and not $1493 MSRP.

Also, there is a VERY tedious break in for Savage centerfires. Be wary about buying anything that is not NIB. You will have no idea whatsoever what was done and not done to the rifle.

bootsmcguire
12-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Also, there is a VERY tedious break in for Savage centerfires. Be wary about buying anything that is not NIB. You will have no idea whatsoever what was done and not done to the rifle.

Not sure where you are getting the idea that there is a tedious break in required for Savages. No different than any other brand. Honestly my best shooting factory Savage was never broken in at all. I just took it out of the box, cleaned it up and headed to the range. Once it got dirty I cleaned it. Been a sub-1/2 MOA shooter ever since.

offtarget
01-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all of your input, it is appreciated.
Looked at a model 10T today at Cabellas. It is a Cabellas only deal. Sells for 600.00
24" Heavy barrel. Only comes in 308. Weighs in a 9 lbs.
Is this something that would do what I am wanting to do?
THANKS FORYOUR HELP

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM TEXAS

bootsmcguire
01-01-2015, 02:03 AM
Yes it would work, but you would get much cheaper ammo (even handloading) with a 223 or even a 22-250 if you want a bit more power. 308 is a great round for some things, but for what you want to do a 223 will be easier on your shoulder and your wallet and the 308 will gain you very little at the ranges you want to shoot that couldn't be done as well with a 223 or 22-250 with heavy bullets.