PDA

View Full Version : Question on factory axis

Doubletap
12-30-2014, 08:16 PM
I am going to buy an axis heavy barrel, all I want to do is change the trigger spring and work up a load, do it need all the other stuff I see people doing to them to make it shoot, if so, I'll just buy a 10 or 12 FV

bootsmcguire
12-30-2014, 08:42 PM
The two weakest points on the Axis are the stock and the trigger. Replacing the stock with a boyds laminate, or reinforcing the factory one will help cure that.

If you are already doing the trigger upgrade, then its just a matter of deciding if your style of intended shooting for this rifle will need the stock upgrade. For off hand shooting in the field the factory one will work. If you want to run a bipod or a bench type rest of some kind, then you will want to get the laminate or reinforce the factory one.

The Axis' shoot as is, but those are the two weak points on that platform.

Doubletap
12-30-2014, 09:21 PM
So even shooting off sand bags, it still needs the mods?

bootsmcguire
12-30-2014, 09:48 PM
You don't have too, but I would. It's not hard or expensive to stiffen the fore end up, but another 100 bucks will get you a nice laminate to take care of all the issues.

I guess it all comes down to the money for what you can get a Axis + a stock for in your area vs. a Model 10 or 12. However with the laminate stocked axis you will probably end up with a better stocked rifle than a 10 or 12 and it should shoot as good and be steadier in the laminate stock. Just something to consider.