PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Mile ELR Rig: 338 Edge

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

seanhagerty
01-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Dremel died? This may be the end of civilization!!

:der:

I think they have repair parts kits for them, may be worth a look.

upSLIDEdown
01-06-2015, 01:16 PM
It was actually an old Craftsman variable speed knock off. It's at least 12 years old. I got my use out of it.

upSLIDEdown
01-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Ok, more pics posted on the first page. Bedding job cleaned up, as much as it's gonna get for now anyway. And the gun all assembled. Check it out! :peace:

RyanG
01-10-2015, 09:31 PM
That looks amazing... Great Job! Cant wait for a range report....

LongRange
01-11-2015, 09:31 AM
looks fantastic and cant wait to hear/see how she shoots!!!

upSLIDEdown
01-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Took it out today to get a rough zero and put a few rounds through it. I attempted a ladder test at 400 yards.
Couldn't see holes that far for multiple reasons:

-I was shooting into a brown piece of cardboard, not white paper (I forgot it)
-I forgot my markers too, to color bullet tips to help with spotting
-I decided to set my phone up at the target and start recording, which would've worked great had I gone and gotten it right after shooting the test, but we moved back to the 900yd line and shot before I went and got it. The battery died. So it didn't save the vid. Crap. Crap. Crap.

Also, the 400 yd ladder went from 90-95gr of H1000 behind a Berger 300 Hybrid. At 408 yards, out of all the shots, discounting one flier that was WAY off, I had less than 4" vertical dispersion between all of them...

For a 5gr powder spread ladder test, being sub moa, I feel like that's pretty freaking crazy. Maybe that's normal, I dunno. Either way though, I'm gonna load another ladder test and do it further out, maybe 800-1000 yds. Feel like that may give me a wider spread. Thoughts?

Either way, gun shot great so far, and I can't wait to send some more. The brake is super effective. It kicks less than a 30-06 hunting rifle. Maybe a little more than a lightweight 308. STOKED. :cool:

scooterf79
01-12-2015, 06:49 AM
Rifle looks awesome! Thanks for going into so much detail with the bedding too. Will be doing my first bedding job soon, and the pics helped alot. Now youve got my curiosity up on the Edge lol. Keep the updates coming!
Scooter

sparky123321
01-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Your velocity really didn't change much with the 5 grains. Maybe 4-5%. I only tested from 88gr to 92gr, but the chrono was showing approximately 25fps/grain. 90gr should have had you at 2800fps + or - and 95gr 2925fps + or -.

upSLIDEdown
01-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Your velocity really didn't change much with the 5 grains. Maybe 4-5%. I only tested from 88gr to 92gr, but the chrono was showing approximately 25fps/grain. 90gr should have had you at 2800fps + or - and 95gr 2925fps + or -.

I forgot my chronograph, but I really don't think they're anywhere near that fast. I loaded a few at 93gr because that seems to be the go to pet load. My dope to 900yds was showing 2750ish.

sparky123321
01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
I can only tell you what my chrono was giving me. I'd bet you were about 100fps faster at 93gr.

Here's Berger's data for the Lapua with 85gr. 300gr Berger Hodgdon H-1000 85.2gr 2629fps

Figuring the 25fps/grain I was experiencing that would put you around 2,850fps. I'll be interested to hear what your chrono shows you. Let me know.

upSLIDEdown
01-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah, me too. I just know most people running 93gr end up right around 2800 with the Edge. We shall see. I'm not sure how accurate my chrono is either. I really need to invest in a magnetospeed. Oh well. One day.

Togeneral99
01-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Having shot this behemoth, I second that it kicks about like my 308.

That at brake is absolutely amazing!

upSLIDEdown
01-13-2015, 01:49 AM
It's been a while since I've shot anything without a brake, but I was pretty sure I remembered my 308 kicking about that much. Glad you hear you think the same thing. lol

sparky123321
01-13-2015, 08:27 AM
I'm using the JP Recoil Eliminator on mine and off the bench I barely even hold the rifle. My left hand stays on the rest and I don't even worry about the butt being firmly into my shoulder. They're a bit ugly and loud, but I've tried numerous brakes and nothing has even come close to the JP Recoil Eliminator on the "heavy hitters" I've owned throughout the years. Tough to say, but I guess I'd compare the recoil to my 20+lb .284 win heavy benchrest rifle.

LongRange
01-13-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm using the JP Recoil Eliminator on mine and off the bench I barely even hold the rifle. My left hand stays on the rest and I don't even worry about the butt being firmly into my shoulder. They're a bit ugly and loud, but I've tried numerous brakes and nothing has even come close to the JP Recoil Eliminator on the "heavy hitters" I've owned throughout the years. Tough to say, but I guess I'd compare the recoil to my 20+lb .284 win heavy benchrest rifle.

+1...i have tried a few breaks on my 300 and all worked well but most pushed the muzzle left or right with the factory 110BA break being the worst. the recoil eliminator moves straight back...like sparky said its loud...REAL loud.

shawnb
01-17-2015, 01:28 PM
So how do you like the stalk? I am thinking of getting one and want to know how it feels. It seems like they are a pretty solid looking unit.

Anything you would change on it?

D.ID
01-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Yeah, me too. I just know most people running 93gr end up right around 2800 with the Edge. We shall see. I'm not sure how accurate my chrono is either. I really need to invest in a magnetospeed. Oh well. One day.

I'm at 3k feet and getting 2840 fps with the bergers out of 26" barrels with 89.0 grains of h1000.
2780 fps with the smk from a 24" barrel with the same 89.0 grains H1000.
What brass are you running with the 95 grain test loads and how the primer pockets holding up?

yobuck
01-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Have any of you tried Retumbo with this cartridge? Especially with the longer barrel it should be a good choice.
It works well with all the ultramag cartridges so id assume it would with this also.

Ranger412
01-25-2015, 08:06 PM
upSlidedown,

Nice build. I like your choice of stock and scope. I've built a few Savage rifles up over the years using Boyds stocks. The results have always come out really well. Hard to beat a $100 Boyds. Big fan of the SWFA scopes. I've owned their higher quality/priced HD models in the past, but the fixed power "originals" are awesome scopes for the money.

upSLIDEdown
01-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Have any of you tried Retumbo with this cartridge? Especially with the longer barrel it should be a good choice.
It works well with all the ultramag cartridges so id assume it would with this also.

Have a pound to try, but haven't yet. Supposedly it's going to be my new best friend.

upSlidedown,

Nice build. I like your choice of stock and scope. I've built a few Savage rifles up over the years using Boyds stocks. The results have always come out really well. Hard to beat a $100 Boyds. Big fan of the SWFA scopes. I've owned their higher quality/priced HD models in the past, but the fixed power "originals" are awesome scopes for the money.

Thanks a lot. I'm really starting to second guess the scope. I can't seem to get the reticle and target both clear. I have no issues with this on my Viper PST, but it's driving me nuts. The reticle almost disappears when I set the parallax. A buddy said my reticle focus (ocular focus) is off. Tried playing with that, and didn't seem to help. I set it before it was mounted, and looking up at a blue sky, it's crisp, but not when I get on target. I don't understand. At all.