PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Mile ELR Rig: 338 Edge

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

D.ID
12-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Your rangefinder better be better than mine.
None the less looking forward to end result.

upSLIDEdown
01-01-2015, 03:09 AM
Just in case you're looking for or need 150 MOA rail >>> http://www.arcanglesolutions.com/Home_Page.php

(http://www.arcanglesolutions.com/ARC-RIZER_2.html)

I've looked at it, along with the MOAB150. I've found one person using the MOAB, and zero using the Arc Angle. With absolutely ZERO feedback or reviews, I have a hard time spending that kinda cash at this point. I'll be running a 60moa Ken Farrel to start off with. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Your rangefinder better be better than mine.
None the less looking forward to end result.

Hah, it won't be reaching quite that far, but hopefully GPS will get me pretty close.

FEENIX
01-01-2015, 08:40 AM
I've looked at it, along with the MOAB150. I've found one person using the MOAB, and zero using the Arc Angle. With absolutely ZERO feedback or reviews, I have a hard time spending that kinda cash at this point. I'll be running a 60moa Ken Farrel to start off with. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Yep, I hear you. A 60 MOA rail and your scope's internal elevation adjustment (and holdover) should get you to your range goal. Good luck!

Not sure if you've seen Shawn's video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iqCMfTZuWB8#t=1

seanhagerty
01-01-2015, 10:04 AM
What made you decide to bed the barrel? I havent tried that and was curious about it.

LongRange
01-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Hah, it won't be reaching quite that far, but hopefully GPS will get me pretty close.

I have a leica1600B that ive ranged 1860yds with but it has to be dead steady and over cast to range that far...in bright sun its good to 1500-1600yds...the balistics in the unit dont match either of my riffles but i havent played with that much...im going to up grade this year to the vectronix terrapin.

upSLIDEdown
01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Yep, I hear you. A 60 MOA rail and your scope's internal elevation adjustment (and holdover) should get you to your range goal. Good luck!

Yep, I've seen it.

What made you decide to bed the barrel? I havent tried that and was curious about it.

Seems to be two schools of thought. Some people swear to never bed past the lug. Others think that bedding the first couple inches of barrel help take the weight and stress off the action and recoil lug, especially with longer barrels. This barrel is 30" long, so I thought I'd do it and see how it goes. If it causes issues, I can always grind it out and free float it again.

I have a leica1600B that ive ranged 1860yds with but it has to be dead steady and over cast to range that far...in bright sun its good to 1500-1600yds...the balistics in the unit dont match either of my riffles but i havent played with that much...im going to up grade this year to the vectronix terrapin.

Hah, I want a Terrapin so bad it's not funny. Currently I'm using a Bushnell 1 mile. For the $150 I've got in it, it's hard to beat, but once I start stretching things out this far, I'll probably resort to using GPS for distances. We'll see.

upSLIDEdown
01-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Bedded the action this morning. It's currently sitting, curing. Added a bunch more pictures and info in the 2nd and 3rd posts. Check it out!

LongRange
01-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Bedded the action this morning. It's currently sitting, curing. Added a bunch more pictures and info in the 2nd and 3rd posts. Check it out!

looks great...good call on the model clay as the plumbers puddy sucks...and another good call on the kiwi...ive used a few different things as release agents and the kiwi is hands down the best...2 coats and buff and your golden...looking forward to see your finished results!!

upSLIDEdown
01-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Right on!

Just looked at, looks like I've got a little more suck back than I did in the past.
:-/ Oh well, hopefully it'll be ok. Guess we'll see.

LongRange
01-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Right on!

Just looked at, looks like I've got a little more suck back than I did in the past.
:-/ Oh well, hopefully it'll be ok. Guess we'll see.

lol...you just cant wait to pop it loose...like a kid at christmas LMAO!!

LongRange
01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
this should keep you busy for a minute LOL...

http://youtu.be/uPbQ3SYpXpY

yobuck
01-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Well it certainly is a good cartridge and you appear to be doing a fine job building it.
And as you say it is a very good place to start. BUT, theres a major difference between
getting a bullet to those differences and actually hitting something with it.
My kids used to entertain themselves shooting rocks with 22 mags at 6 and 700 yds also.
But any wind at all meant it didnt happen. And when you get right down to it whats the point anyway?
Seeing dust fly from certain types of rocks, or seeing large ice masses break up can no doubt make some of us
feel all warm and fuzzy. But realize there is no connection to a hunting situation in doing that.
Unless you very carefully select both the day and the target you will simply be wasting time and ammo.

LongRange
01-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Well it certainly is a good cartridge and you appear to be doing a fine job building it.
And as you say it is a very good place to start. BUT, theres a major difference between
My kids used to entertain themselves shooting rocks with 22 mags at 6 and 700 yds also.
But any wind at all meant it didnt happen. And when you get right down to it whats the point anyway?
Seeing dust fly from certain types of rocks, or seeing large ice masses break up can no doubt make some of us
feel all warm and fuzzy. But realize there is no connection to a hunting situation in doing that.
Unless you very carefully select both the day and the target you will simply be wasting time and ammo.

i think you and i would get along well in the real world yobuck...you call it like you see it and im the same way...ive shot a 300wm at 1010yds and hit 6" AR500 plate targets...2 separate targets...3 direct hits on #1 out of 5 rounds the other 2 close enough to be kill shots...3 hits on #2 with one shot hitting 1" high on the chain it was hanging on and shot the chain in half but i dont count that shot and #10 shot at target #1 that spun the target but i dont count that one as there was no actual solid hit or marks on the target.

yobuck
01-03-2015, 09:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iqCMfTZuWB8#t=1

About 2 years ago Shawn and i had a little friendly debate over on L R H site. He finally admitted his longest shot on a game animal was 1600 and small change.
The setup he has in this picture is actually laughable. The bench and the bipod are totaly unsuitable for that type of shooting. Its a good bench for a prairie dog
hunter on level ground.
As for rangfinders, no doubt the Vectrinix is the best other than the military units which they make also. The Terrepin model has been discontinued
so finding one at this point would be tough and costly. They make other models which are also more costly. As an option, there are still a few very good military coincedence
rangfinders available on ebay from time to time. I have two one of which is a ww2 Barr&Stroud and the other a more recent Swiss Wild. both are almost identicle as for looks and function. They will range any target at any time or condition so long as the target can be seen. My Wild measures to 10.000 meters and the B&S to 20.000 yds. although some of those measure in meters as well. As a rule these units can be bought for under $500.
They weigh about 15lb. These are still today our go to units for the type of long range hunting we do. In comparison, my 1500 yd Swarovski lazer is junk as for reliability.

shawnb
01-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Back to the build.....hows it coming? Im thinking of the same type of build. Is your barrel the small shank or large shank?

upSLIDEdown
01-04-2015, 02:13 AM
lol...you just cant wait to pop it loose...like a kid at christmas LMAO!!

Sooo?!!!! lol I'm forcing myself to leave it overnight. I'll pull it tomorrow.

this should keep you busy for a minute LOL...

http://youtu.be/uPbQ3SYpXpY

Hah, thanks, I'll check it out.

Oh I completely understand that at those distances, it becomes more of a guessing game than anything. I don't plan on hunting at those distances. I don't hunt anyway, not at this point anyway. For the record though, I don't plan on shooting at rocks. I plan to have actual steel targets out past a mile. We'll see how it goes. Again, this is something to get my feet wet without spending tons of money in a Cheytac, which is what the route I'd really like to go. I didn't put it in the title, but this is really more of a Budget ELR rig. I probably should have. I know the terms 'budget' and 'elr' don't go together, but, if you can't tell by my 6.5CM Axis, I like to do things with as little money as possible. The first tactical long range competition I shot, I hurt a lot of feelings with an Axis in 308 with a Boyds stock and an SWFA scope. 3rd overall and top 308 shooter of the day.

Back to the build.....hows it coming? Im thinking of the same type of build. Is your barrel the small shank or large shank?

It's coming. Going to break it out tomorrow and see how it looks. Small shank setup, built on a 111 blind mag that was originally chambered in 270.

upSLIDEdown
01-04-2015, 02:15 AM
About 2 years ago Shawn and i had a little friendly debate over on L R H site. He finally admitted his longest shot on a game animal was 1600 and small change.
The setup he has in this picture is actually laughable. The bench and the bipod are totaly unsuitable for that type of shooting. Its a good bench for a prairie dog
hunter on level ground.
As for rangfinders, no doubt the Vectrinix is the best other than the military units which they make also. The Terrepin model has been discontinued
so finding one at this point would be tough and costly. They make other models which are also more costly. As an option, there are still a few very good military coincedence
rangfinders available on ebay from time to time. I have two one of which is a ww2 Barr&Stroud and the other a more recent Swiss Wild. both are almost identicle as for looks and function. They will range any target at any time or condition so long as the target can be seen. My Wild measures to 10.000 meters and the B&S to 20.000 yds. although some of those measure in meters as well. As a rule these units can be bought for under $500.
They weigh about 15lb. These are still today our go to units for the type of long range hunting we do. In comparison, my 1500 yd Swarovski lazer is junk as for reliability.

Missed this one. Good info on the range finders. I don't have the cash for a Terrapin at this point anyway. Saw a used one not long ago, but couldn't swing it. Maybe one day.

yobuck
01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Well if you happen to run accross a (WILD) pronounced as Villed, in good condition id suggest buying it.
Just be sure its returnable in the event there is interior damage. They are very easy to use and recalibrate
should the distance reading get off which is very rare. Just be carefull of the German units which will also
look the same at first glance. Some are excellant and can be used the same as those mentioned. Others
however were made for a specific purpose like ranging aircraft. These are impossible to use for normal type ranging.

shawnb
01-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Well....whats going on with the build?!

upSLIDEdown
01-06-2015, 01:56 AM
Hahaha! Well I didn't lock the action in the stock. Broke it out, snapped a couple quick pics of what it looked like when I first pulled it. My dremel died. Gonna buy another one tomorrow, so I can get it cleaned and tidied up. Hoping to have pics of the finished product soon.

I just noticed that your only two posts ever are in this thread. :peace: