PDA

View Full Version : centerfeed blind magazine

AKArcherdaddy
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey all,

I few months ago my father-in-law purchased a used centerfeed Savage short action for me. It came with a (accu)trigger, action bolts, a magazine box, and a follower. I have a trigger guard under way (in the meantime I'm just using the one off another Savage I already own) but I'm having "issues" with the magazine box. I checked out my long action Savage, which has a hinged floorplate, and the magazine box attaches to the bottom metal. What does the magazine box attach to in a blind magazine? Am I missing some part(s)? The stock (Bell and Carlson Medalist Tactical) has a perfectly fitted hole for the magazine box, but there must be SOMETHING that holds the box in place since it doesn't attach to the action like on some rifles. As it is, the follower just pushes the magazine box up into the way of the bolt. I already looked through the FAQs, but nothing there. Anybody have any help? Pictures or a schematic would be even more awesome! I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I just don't have anything else near here I can compare too.

Thanks!

pdog06
04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Do you also have the little "L" bracket that goes between the rear pillar and the action, which holds the magbox in place?

rjtfroggy
04-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Unless someone can scan and post a schematic I think the only place on line to find one is at www.numrichgunparts.com or maybe there is a downloadable owners manual on the savage arms site.
Like Pdog said if it isn't connected to the stock there should be an "L" bracket
at the rear of the mag that holds it in place in the mag well.

AKArcherdaddy
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Ahh yes, there was a little L bracket in there too. It just didn't seem to fit anywhere. Maybe now that I know that it goes between the rear pillat and the action, I can figure out how/where it goes. Thanks!

rjtfroggy
04-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Place mag in the well take the bracket hole facing the pillar and the little hook going down in the space between the mag and the stock, and push down until it snaps into place.
Or you can order a stagger feed from midway with the follower and snap it on the action and have a old style, which is what I prefer.

GUNFANATIC
04-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Place mag in the well take the bracket hole facing the pillar and the little hook going down in the space between the mag and the stock, and push down until it snaps into place.
Or you can order a stagger feed from midway with the follower and snap it on the action and have a old style, which is what I prefer.

I didn't think the centerfeed actions had the slots cut for the staggered feed mags ???

Ksmirk
04-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm looking tonight when I get home if my CF action has slots cause if it does I know what my next purchase is going to be! Later,

Kirk

sharpshooter
04-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Centerfeeds don't have slots. The "L" bracket goes in like this.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/cetrfedlclip.jpg

GUNFANATIC
04-29-2010, 10:56 PM
But if I understood RJT correctly, he's suggesting that a staggered feed mag can be put on a centerfeed action.

rjtfroggy
04-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Sharpshooter would know for sure he takes them appart everyday.
I went by what a woman at Savage told me on the phone when inquirering about doing it to an action I have coming in.Now I need the action so I can see if it will or won't, but right now I am taking sharpshooters word for it.

mtang45
04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I found this while doing a search and drug it back up because of the picture of the blind mag with the "L" bracket. My questions is, where can I buy an L bracket? I need one!

Thanks

rjtfroggy
04-27-2012, 06:07 AM
From Savage or maybe NSS. If you do another search you will find that some are getting rid of it.Just use epoxy putty and fit the mag in place and you are done.

mtang45
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
From Savage or maybe NSS. If you do another search you will find that some are getting rid of it.Just use epoxy putty and fit the mag in place and you are done.

Thanks for the advice on the epoxy. I checked the Savage website and could not find the part on their schematics. I'll give Jim a call at NSS.

devildogandboy
04-27-2012, 05:36 PM
you can also go to the top of the classified section under "parts finder" and type in your serial# and get an schematic with all the parts, it will show you where and what parts may be missing. very good tool! you can order parts from Savage at very reasonable rates also, as long as they are not "gunsmith" only parts. shipping is very reasonable too i believe. placed an order today and probably have it by the end of next week.
sounds like you need or haven't installed the L clip. :D

mtang45
04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
you can also go to the top of the classified section under "parts finder" and type in your serial# and get an schematic with all the parts, it will show you where and what parts may be missing. very good tool! you can order parts from Savage at very reasonable rates also, as long as they are not "gunsmith" only parts. shipping is very reasonable too i believe. placed an order today and probably have it by the end of next week.
sounds like you need or haven't installed the L clip. :D

Yes, I tried the parts finder but for my serial # it does not show the "L" Bracket in the schematic, (which I have recently learned is officially called "magazine retaining clip"). Anyway I called Savage and after a short discussion they offered to send me one for FREE! I was incredibly impressed; what fantastic service!!

Turk1961
05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a staggered feed mag is not an easy fit on a centerfeed action. >:( Putting a centerfeed action in a staggered feed blind mag stock is not going to be easy either. >:( Think I will have a centerfeed action for sale or trade soon. ::)

Has anyone come up with a quick easy way of doing either of these two things?