PDA

View Full Version : Model 10FCPXP

ksmedman
12-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Howdy.
So I have my first Savage, a new to me Model 10 in 308, with a heavy fluted barrel.
A little research shows it to be a Model 10 FCPXP, which may have been a package gun available through Dick's at one time.
It has the Accutrigger, which is sweet, but not the Accustock. Still a decent poly stock though, metal mag surround and bolt release in front of the trigger.

Any known issues, concerns, advice about this model? I notice it's not on Savage's website anymore so I'm guessing it's several years old? Mine looks new though, must not have gotten much use.

It came with a Tasco 3-9 with mil dot reticle. Best Tasco scope I've ever looked through, but I'm putting a Fullfield II on it.
It's a little front heavy, but I'm probably going to hunt it anyway.

Any advice on ammo that these barrels like? Loads, etc...

Thanks in advance, and sorry if these are noob questions. I am a Savage noob.

barrel-nut
12-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Welcome to the forum and Savage rifles!
I've yet to find a .308 that didn't like a Hornady 168 gr A-Max with a stout charge of Reloder 15 or Varget behind it. For hunting purposes, a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accu-bond with the same powders generally does very well also. Good luck!

ksmedman
12-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the forum and Savage rifles!
I've yet to find a .308 that didn't like a Hornady 168 gr A-Max with a stout charge of Reloder 15 or Varget behind it. For hunting purposes, a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accu-bond with the same powders generally does very well also. Good luck!

Thank you sir!
I'm a fan of Nosler's too, wish I had my new scope in as I'm going out New Year's Day. Guess I'll have to make due with my ol' 30/06... ;)

Joe L
12-30-2014, 09:20 PM
I've got a 10FCP-K which has the same heavy fluted barrel as yours but with a muzzle brake. I took the brake off because I shoot prone in the dirt. Mine shoots Federal Gold Medal Match 168 and Remington Premium 168. I've had the best groups with Southwest Ammunitions 175 gr Sierra Match Kings but good results with all three premium ammo choices. Mine is now in an XLR chassis with a Bushnell 3.5-21 DMR scope. I will get to shoot it at 500 meters this week.

Joe

txbdyguard
12-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the addiction. Each rifle handles different weight bullets. Load a few at a time and try it. Cabelas now sells 10 bullets per bag so you don't have to buy an entire box.

Joe L
12-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Here is what you have to look forward to. I couldn't get to the 500 meter berm due to snow, so I shot at 300. But I shot 4 groups under 3". This is the best one, of course.

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Rifle-Range-12-31-14-Ruidsoso/i-PRLpLdN/0/L/PC314052-L.jpg

Gosh I love this rifle. And I'm a pistol guy.

Joe