PDA

View Full Version : Stagger vs Centerfeed

KTP
12-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I've searched the threads with no luck. Why did Savage go centerfeed over stagger feed? Is there any real advantage ? I have an older stagger feed (4.27 with accutrigger) I'm considering building off of but before I buy a barrel and stock I thought I'd ask.

jonbearman
12-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes it feeds better than the staggerfeed. There are more stocks for staggerfeed but the centerfeed ones are starting to show up more. Look at stockadestocks.com

KTP
12-29-2014, 04:23 PM
I don't think Savage even makes a stagger anymore do they? I just wondered why they went away from them. All these years I've used stagger feed rifles I've not had one problem.

geargrinder
12-29-2014, 08:18 PM
I believe they went to centerfeed to for a couple reasons.
-One to improve feeding reliability.
-action machining, they simplified the machining of the mag opening.
-eliminate the need for the CRF style short magnum actions. They wouldn't have to mill the ejector slot in the actions, and they wouldn't have to make the special bolt heads.

bootsmcguire
12-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Yup geargrinder is completely correct.

I personally prefer the Centerfeed myself. However as fate would have it I currently own more SF's than CF's. Go figure ;)

KTP
12-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Me too Boots. SF's are the in the majority here. The centerfeed feeding reliability makes sense. Having said all that I'm building another one on a short action stagger with accutrigger. Hey, you gotta work with what you have!!!

seanhagerty
12-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Can either one be fitted with a bottom metal and dbm ?