PDA

View Full Version : Is 10x long enough for 100 yards?

Pages : 1 [2]

helotaxi
05-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Two things. Notice the diamond patterns on the targets with nice groups on them. As long as the reticule isn't so heavy that it obscures a lot of the target, the diamond pattern makes consistent alignment simple with just about any magnification. With simple bulls, I've not had a problem shooting sub-MOA with a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 on my 110 in .243 and a 2.5-10x50 on my 16" precision AR.

Second, although the Hornady FMJ is probably the best of the non expanding breed (the Barnes banded solid might be better) it is still not a precision bullet. The weighting is wrong for best precision because it carries its weight too far forward. Go to a match hollow-point or a varmint bullet and give it a try.

boy412
05-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I got a bunch of different of bullets to try a while back:

Nosler 55gr Ballistic tip Spitzer
Nosler 52gr Custom Competition HPBT
Speer 52gr Target Match HPBT
Sierra 52gr MatchKing HPBT
Hornady 55gr FMJBT

After I burn this stuff up I'll see what's what. I'll try some of the Hornady V-Max as well. I was looking at non-hunting ammo, but if the varmint stuff is accurate then I have no objection to trying some.

boy412
05-02-2010, 05:12 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/Shooting%20and%20Guns/group1.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/Shooting%20and%20Guns/group2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/Shooting%20and%20Guns/group3.jpg

Tch2fly, what software are you using to give you that "group analysis"? That's pretty slick...haven't seen that before.

:)

Dirk
05-02-2010, 05:23 PM
The magnifier is also going to increase the thickness of your reticle. There is no free lunch!

82boy
05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Is you gun a 1 in 12 or a 1 in 9 twist? Look on the barrel if it is marked 1 in 9, you may want to try some heavier bullets. If it is not marked than it is a 1 in 12 and the 52gr Match bullets will come out the winners. Try 4895 powder with them.

Tch2fly
05-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Tch2fly, what software are you using to give you that "group analysis"? That's pretty slick...haven't seen that before.

Here is the link to http://www.6mmbr.com/ontargetsoftware.html"] (http://"OnTarget[/u] software. Just scan in your target (or you can import a photo) and the rest is easy ;)

boy412
05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Is you gun a 1 in 12 or a 1 in 9 twist? Look on the barrel if it is marked 1 in 9, you may want to try some heavier bullets. If it is not marked than it is a 1 in 12 and the 52gr Match bullets will come out the winners. Try 4895 powder with them.

it's a 1:9 twist. I ordered it specifically!

I had almost bought a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA, which has a 1:12 twist (and a lot of freebore). I didn't want to limit myself to lighter bullets, and the 1:9 seemed more versatile.

borg
05-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Look at how big that bullseye is. If you try to aim for the center of something that big you'll never shoot as tight as if you were try aiming at something smaller. I believe the expression is "aim small, miss small." Take it literally. Another trick I was told was to use those diamond targets and set the scope so that when the crosshairs are rested on the point at the bottom of the little diamond the POI is the center of the bull. That way you don't put a bullet hole over your aiming point and you always have the smallest possible target to aim at.

But really don't thank me. I'm just regurgitating, and after I've had time to chew on something it doesn't generally come back out looking the same. Just because something worked for me doesn't mean I actually know how to help others.

helotaxi
05-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I believe the expression is "aim small, miss small." Take it literally.
I use that exact expression when teaching guys to shoot laser guided missiles. It applies to anything you are manually aiming. The smaller the actual point you are trying to hold on, the more you will concentrate and the less error you will accept sub-consciously. Rather than thinking "hold the X ring" think "hold the X."

Another trick I was told was to use those diamond targets and set the scope so that when the crosshairs are rested on the point at the bottom of the little diamond the POI is the center of the bull. That way you don't put a bullet hole over your aiming point and you always have the smallest possible target to aim at. The beauty of the diamond aimpoint is that you can line up legs of the crosshair with the points of the diamond and have the crosshair centered every time. Those hard angles draw the human eye better as well and the aim is more natural looking. If you look at a 100yd benchrest target, the impact area of the target is blank paper and is about 1.5" above the center of the bull. It is up there to keep you from shooting away your aimpoint and it is empty of printing so you can see the holes.

boy412
05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
So...I learned something very valuable from this discussion; Point of aim does not (necessarily) need to be equal to the target! Duh. When I think about it now it makes perfect sense. Why shoot away your aim point?

It is satisfying though when you hit what you're aiming for.

For target shooting, is the process of zeroing your scope "different"? It seems like if you're hitting paper more or less you're good! You'd want to be close obviously...

I like those diamond style targets. I've downloaded a few different types from 6br.com and will try them out on my next trip to the range.

allenlhouston
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I learned a little target marking trick from an article in Hand Loader Magazine.
The author of the article used "Paper Hole Re-inforcements" from an office store to past on standard targets. This provided him with a precise aiming point. If you are not familiar with these the re-inforcements are used to strengthen holes that are punched in paper so they will fit in a three ring binder without tearing. Some times I can find them in different colors. The ID of the re-inforcement is about 1/4 inch and gives a precise aim point.

borg
05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Another trick I was told was to use those diamond targets and set the scope so that when the crosshairs are rested on the point at the bottom of the little diamond the POI is the center of the bull. That way you don't put a bullet hole over your aiming point and you always have the smallest possible target to aim at. The beauty of the diamond aimpoint is that you can line up legs of the crosshair with the points of the diamond and have the crosshair centered every time. Those hard angles draw the human eye better as well and the aim is more natural looking. If you look at a 100yd benchrest target, the impact area of the target is blank paper and is about 1.5" above the center of the bull. It is up there to keep you from shooting away your aimpoint and it is empty of printing so you can see the holes.

I generally sight about 1" high at 100 anyway. I definitely have used the diamonds for crosshair alignment, but aiming at the point of the diamond seems to work a shade better for me. It helps me to aim at a specific point rather than orient the crosshairs, although I do both to some extent, I guess.

When shooting at targets with circular bulls, I always aim for the lowest point of the circle rather than the center of it.

lal357
05-09-2010, 05:53 PM
i ordered a magnifier from bullzeyepro was supprised how fast it arrived ordered it on wed showed up on friday cant wait to get back to install it on my 10x scopeand see how it does. if it works good i may get one for my Nikon i have on my bushmaster turn that 3x9 into a 9x27 (3x adapter)

^^^
Let us know what you think!

got to shot the 223 with the adapter on it not bad you can definitely see the difference with it on and off optics are still clear if i was to guess it made my 10x into a 18x maybe alittle higher but not much i might get the 4x in the future . the one thing that it did do was make the crosshairs alittle bigger but not enough to worry about since they were fine hairs

Blue Avenger
05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
whoa, you do not get a 3x9 to turn into a 9x27 dreamer.

You get 30% increase so you have a 3.9 x 11.7

lal357
05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
yeah i was doing quick math like i said it went from 10x to about 18x kinda hard to tell i put it next to my 8x32 and focused on the same point and turn the variable up till they about matched it also depends on how far you push it on the scope

borg
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I learned a little target marking trick from an article in Hand Loader Magazine.
The author of the article used "Paper Hole Re-inforcements" from an office store to past on standard targets. This provided him with a precise aiming point. If you are not familiar with these the re-inforcements are used to strengthen holes that are punched in paper so they will fit in a three ring binder without tearing. Some times I can find them in different colors. The ID of the re-inforcement is about 1/4 inch and gives a precise aim point.

I recently tried this and I like it.