PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for home made pillars for old 112 going into new Boyds Pro Varmint?

Old Medic
12-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Got an "old" 112 7 mag in a Choate stock that shoots great but want a lighter, "prettier" stock. Going with a Boyds laminate. I will be attempting (for the first time) to pillar and glass bed the thing. I've had extensive experience in these areas: combat medic (U.S. Army), electronics technician (after military), and carpenter, so my hands work fairly well. That being said, I ain't skeered to try something new, so does anyone have suggestions on something I can use to make my own pillars for the bedding job. You folks are a resourceful lot, so I am confident y'all can help an ol' redneck medic. Thanks in advance.

BillPa
12-28-2014, 10:19 AM
I turn my own to fit, but some use threaded lamp rod. The thing to remember, pillars serve one purpose only, prevent stock material compression/displacement, so as long as it does the job I guess it doesn't really matter what they're made of.

Bill

bsekf
12-28-2014, 11:23 AM
You can buy spacers from McMaster-Carr in many sizes. I do not cut the notch in the rear pillar until I have installed it.

Bill

drybean
12-28-2014, 11:48 AM
+ 1 for lamp rod