PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting ctg. position in mag

scpaul
12-27-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm almost finished installing an Accurate-Mag brand mag well and trigger guard in a Boyd's Heavy Varmint Thumbhole Stock on a Sav. 116. What are the different/best ways to space the ctg's away from the rear of the mag so they can't snag on the bottom of the action or be too far back for the bolt to pick them up? Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks, Paul :noidea::Cry:

scpaul
12-28-2014, 11:55 PM
I can't be breaking new ground, can I? Oh well, I think I found a way and I'll know tomorrow. Paul:rant:

bootsmcguire
12-29-2014, 12:06 AM
I have been around here for awhile, and I cannot say I have heard of anyone needing to space the rounds forward in the mag like you are describing.

BillPa
12-29-2014, 04:36 PM
What are the different/best ways to space the ctg's away from the rear of the mag so they can't snag on the bottom of the action

I've "shimmed" (for the lack a description) the rear of the front baffle lug to shorten the rearward bolt throw to stop the bolthead flush with the inside edge of the magazine.
http://i57.tinypic.com/dnysrr.jpg

You could also use a baffle for a the 223-204 and shorten it to length.

Bill

KRP
12-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Bill,

It sounds to me like he needs to go the other way and lengthen the bolt throw.

If the cartridge catches the bottom of the action I can't imagine the magazine is installed correctly or in the correct position to feed well. I'd extend the mag inlet on the action so the magazine seats and is situated correctly then shorten the front baffle to increase bolt throw accordingly. No spacers necessary.

BillPa
12-29-2014, 10:42 PM
I thought I read it right....

/best ways to space the ctg's away from the rear of the mag so they can't snag on the bottom of the action

At times the bolt can go back past the magazine until the lug on the front baffle contacts the sear. When a cartridge is loaded in the mag typically its moved rearward on the follower until it stops against the bolthead them pressed down into the mag, but if the bolthead is back past the mag the head of a cartridge will catch on the edge of the mag cutout in the action.

The only two ways to correct it, as I did or reduce the amount the sear travels until it bottoms out on the action which also determines how far the bolt retracts when pulled rearward.

Bill

scpaul
01-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Sorry, but I haven't had time to check this thread. The bolt isn't the problem. I've installed an Accurate-Mag system. It has an Accurate-Mag brand mag well and it comes with a removable 5 round magazine. Another thing is that it's being installed in a Boyd's heavy varmint thumbhole stock. I made a thin wedge (1/32" to 3/32") and epoxyed it in the rear of the mag. That helped that problem. Now I've had to grind the 2 front ctg lift guides in the mag because this is a wildcat on a 300 Win. Mag. case that has the shoulder blown out enough to be too wide for the mag. internal guides. The mfg said that this model fit a Sav. 116. It seemed harder than it should be so I looked at a retailer's site that sells this brand and looked at the Q&A for it. In there it said that it would not fit a Sav. 110, 111, or 114, but it would fit a 116. In the Q&A it also said it was for "Accustocks" only. All of this just didn't seem right. As far as anybody can tell me, all of the "100" Sav. models are all the same except for some minor pieces and stocks,blued or stainless etc. At this point, I've got it installed. I've fired a few rounds just testing and starting to fireform some cases. It seems to be pretty accurate even while fireforming loads. I'm in the process of prepping 50 pieces of brass to load with different recipes to test and fireform at the same time. Maybe this will help send me the best way for powder, bullets, etc. I do appreciate the responses and advice, Thanks, Paul