PDA

View Full Version : choate sniper stock ??

acemisser
12-26-2014, 10:38 AM
not sure if this is the right place to post or not..Have any of you tried one of these stocks ?choate sniper
if so,what is your opinion of them...To be used for
bench shooting out to 300 yards or less...Do they offer more
control and consistency...That is where I am lacking..Maybe getting
older has something to do with it...

sharpshooter
12-26-2014, 02:39 PM
That would be the worst choice for bench rest shooting due to it's piss poor design.

acemisser
12-26-2014, 08:36 PM
:nono:

Why is that? I use a bipod on the bench..Please explain your comment..
I would like to hear why you feel this way..thanks

bootsmcguire
12-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Personally I am with Fred on this one. It just feels funny with that narrow section in the middle, and the angle on the front for the bi-pod rail puts most bipods on a strange enough angle that it just feels uncomfortable and on the one I tried out for awhile it seemed like it made the legs of the bipod want to slide when I would preload. I just saw no go use for the design other than it looked cool if you were going for that 1980's sniper gun look.

I did have a Choate Ultimate Varmint and it shot pretty darn nice using a bipod from the bench. Also worked well in the field when prone using a bipod or sitting using my taller bipod. The Varmint is a bit heavier but feels better and seemed a lot more stable. I also had a Choate Tactical and other than the palm swell that was just too large for me to get used to, it was leaps and bounds better than the Sniper IMHO.

acemisser
12-27-2014, 07:20 AM
did you use the bipod adapter or go directly to the stock...

what bipod were you using as well...:peace:

bootsmcguire
12-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes I did try the adapter. I had a Caldwell and a no-name copy of Harris I used to have. It was a pretty decent no-namer though.

acemisser
12-27-2014, 06:09 PM
from what i understand,the harris is the best to use with this stock.?

bootsmcguire
12-27-2014, 10:16 PM
I would imagine so yes. The Harris copy was the better choice over the Caldwell.