PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Threading by Savage?

mjphawk
12-24-2014, 12:11 AM
It looks like I am going to have to send my new Savage FCP HS Precision back to Savage to get some kinks worked out. I was planning on sending it into Short Action Customs to have the barrel threaded but since I am sending back to Savage (and they will likely have the barrel off the action) I was considering having them do the work while they had it. Has anyone used Savage for a barrel threading or have any feedback? This is my first long range build and I want to make sure I am having the barrel threaded by someone capable of making sure the threads are square to minimize PIO shifts.

Russell D
12-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Is it a factory savage barrel?

I doubt they will touch a barrel that isn't theirs!

geargrinder
12-25-2014, 03:38 PM
......This is my first long range build and I want to make sure I am having the barrel threaded by someone capable of making sure the threads are square to minimize PIO shifts.

The factory would be the last place I would send it for precision work. I'd send it to someone who will stand behind their work when you launch an aftermarket muzzle brake or suppressor down range.

bootsmcguire
12-25-2014, 04:05 PM
I doubt they would even do it.

I'm with geargrinder, find a good smith to get the job done. Jim at www.apachegunworks.com (http://www.apachegunworks.com) does great work and is a sight sponsor here. I'd see what he can do for you.

LongRange
12-25-2014, 04:47 PM
just curious...what kinks are you talking about to have it sent back to savage? and savage wont touch anything thats not theirs including any mods youve done to the riffle.

mjphawk
12-26-2014, 12:05 AM
just curious...what kinks are you talking about to have it sent back to savage? and savage wont touch anything thats not theirs including any mods youve done to the riffle.

I have a clearance issue in the free bore area of the gun which I have trouble shot pretty extensive. (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?40652-Bolt-Close-Lift-Tension-Question) waiting on some Cerrosafe to arrive as a last resort to identifying to issue before sending back to Savage. The entire gun is stock and I haven't modified anything as of yet (25 total rounds fired to date).

The customer service person I talked to said they could do the threading but I suppose he could be mistaken. I was thinking since they would already likely have the barrel off they might be a viable option and save me from having to ship the gun a second time. Sounds like the consensus here is that it might be best to pass.

I had previously also spoken to someone from Short Action Customs. If the recommendation is to not have savage do the work does anyone have any feedback on them? I care more about a quality job than saving a dime now. Thanks.

Gatr
12-30-2014, 03:05 AM
I had them thread a muzzle. I think it was $60 with a thread protector. I installed a brake with no problems