PDA

View Full Version : savage model 11 stock question

varminter44
12-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Bought my new savage the other day, barrel is full floating, I didn't think it would be full floating being brand new. My question is, are the stocks that come with the gun any good? Should I bed it or just buy a new stock and bed that? Thanks all!

upshifter
12-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Varminter44,

I bought a new model 11 .308 a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't fired it yet. I realize that the barrel is full floating, and that's okay as long as it will shoot a 4 inch group at 100 meters, or 110 yards. If it does that, then I won't do anything to the gun. The model 11 Hunter EX is not supposed to be a target rifle; and 4 inch groups are plenty good enough for me. If it shoots better, then I'll be pleased, if it shoots worse, then I'll look for a remedy. Bedding is important, but there are other things that affect accuracy, especially the ammo. Free floating barrels are a quick fix to make most rifles acceptable, but bedding usually provides even better accuracy. If I want accuracy I would shoot one of my Swedish Mausers, or a bolt action sniper rifle. Making rifles accurate is an art and a science; and it can get expensive and time consuming. I'm not changing my Savage unless it is too far out.

I like the Savage stock and would trust it under any normal shooting conditions. Form follows function, and the Savage stock is totally functional for me. For instance, I hate rollover cheek pieces on a rifle stock, and the Savage does not have that. That's one of the reasons I bought the Savage.

varminter44
12-29-2014, 10:00 AM
I do understand that finding a handload that your gun likes is extremely important and I asked this question before I even shot the gun. I shot it last night at the local gun range, granted it was only 50 yards but I was covering a dime with factory winchester ammo (don't remember what grain, I was just shooting the cheapest stuff to get some brass for handloading) thank you for the response and I am going to wait til I shoot 100+ yards before I decide on bedding/stock because even at 50yds with factory ammo its looking pretty promising. Maybe I won't even need it :)

D.ID
12-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Varminter44,

I bought a new model 11 .308 a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't fired it yet. I realize that the barrel is full floating, and that's okay as long as it will shoot a 4 inch group at 100 meters, or 110 yards. If it does that, then I won't do anything to the gun. The model 11 Hunter EX is not supposed to be a target rifle; and 4 inch groups are plenty good enough for me. If it shoots better, then I'll be pleased, if it shoots worse, then I'll look for a remedy. Bedding is important, but there are other things that affect accuracy, especially the ammo. Free floating barrels are a quick fix to make most rifles acceptable, but bedding usually provides even better accuracy. If I want accuracy I would shoot one of my Swedish Mausers, or a bolt action sniper rifle. Making rifles accurate is an art and a science; and it can get expensive and time consuming. I'm not changing my Savage unless it is too far out.

I like the Savage stock and would trust it under any normal shooting conditions. Form follows function, and the Savage stock is totally functional for me. For instance, I hate rollover cheek pieces on a rifle stock, and the Savage does not have that. That's one of the reasons I bought the Savage.

If your brand new model 11 will not shoot 4" at 100 with the worst ammo you can find: it's not the gun, it's the shooter.
Making a run of the mill savage shoot accurately is fast, easy and cheep.

varminter44
12-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Yeah 4" group threw me off. I'm guessing I'll be under an inch at 100. I literally had a few groups that were all in the same hole at 50. I was using a lead sled though. I like to sight in with that so I know if I miss on a yote that it was my own fault lol