PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Range test of new American Eagle - Federal 17WSM ammo

JG26_Irish
12-22-2014, 11:06 PM
I spent a few hours today testing the new Federal American Eagle Ammo in by Savage B-mag today. The ammo I tested included:

1.) Federal AE 20g 17WSM
2.) Winchester 25g 17WSM
3.) Winchester 20g 17WSM

My rifle always shot the 25g of the Win ammo best so, I started out with that at 100yds. Then shot the AE ammo next. First Impression: The AE ammo seems to be slightly more accurate but it is still inconsistent and prone to flyers. It was cold at about 28 deg F and wind was gusting from about 2 o'clock at 3-5mph. I shot one or two decent groups with the AE stuff and a few not so great. Dispersion was bad enough that I moved to 50yds to get a better read on the ammo. I shot three groups with the AE ammo at 50yds. I have not measured them yet but the best looks to be about 3/4" with the others being larger. Will post pics later. I got distracted and failed to test the 20g Winchester ammo that day. Doh! But it always shoots bigger groups in my rifle. I would have to say after only one range session that the results were inconclusive. Marginal improvement at best and even that is questionable. Will post the pics and try again after doing a detailed bbl cleaning.

Cleaned bbl tonight. Spent hours with sweets and patches and nylon brushes and lots of time letting it soak. Should be ready to try once more next week. I figure that Federal is hedging their bets by selling their ammo under the American Eagle (discount ammo) brand. If it does not shoot well, they claim cheap ammo, and if it does shoot well it will be in a Federal Premium box by this time next year. Where is Lapua and Eley??, lol (I wish).

Irish