PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's stock for a model 11

corelokt
12-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm new to the forum and I just recently purchased a Savage model 11 trophy hunter in 270wsm.
I've read through some threads on things I'll need, but in simple plain english can someone give me part #'s or links on what I'll actually need.
Also, the barrel seems kinda thick compared to my other rifles, how would I be able to tell if it a heavy barrel or otherwise?
Thanks for helping a newb out.

corelokt
12-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Anyone?

foxx
12-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Well, the barrel is considered a "sporter" contour. It is the lightest Savage makes. All Trophy Hunters come with it. Boyds refers to them as factory barrels.

Currently we are not able to access the Savage Customer Service site for identifying part numbers, (something to do with them being on vacation).

I can tell you this, 10/ 110's now come with two kinds of detachable mags...

1. "traditional" (that's my word for it). It is all metal magazine (with maybe a synthetic cap on the bottom of the mag itself) and metal "surround/frame" ( known as "bottom metal" with a metal, spring-loaded retaining clip that mounts to stock with the front action screw.

2. "Axis Style" which is cheaper and has a plastic tab/clip that is attached to the magazine (as opposed to the bottom metal on the stock). The Trophy Hunter models use this Axis style mag. The earlier versions of the TH's had a plastic "bottom metal" or "surround/frame" that was a separate from the stock similar to the "traditional" bottom metal. It could be removed and used with a new stock such as Boyds. Newer Trophy Hunters, however, have this plastic "bottom metal" molded into the stock and it is not removable.

If you want to get a Boyds stock, you can upgrade to the "traditional" all metal mag with the all metal "bottom metal" that uses the spring loaded metal retaining clip. That bottom metal and mag are about $120 from the factory. Or, you can go the less expensive route and keep the "Axis Style" mag. BUT, if you do, you will need the removable plastic "bottom metal" for the "Axis style" mags and install that into the new stock. (no big deal). They re about $15.

I don't have the part numbers, and don't really know what the real names for these parts are, but someone else might know. Maybe when Savage re-opens we can get that info for youoff the website or you can call customer service. Once you decde which route to go, customer service will kno what you need if you tell them you have a trophy hunter and want the detachable bottom metal so you can get a Boyds stock. (Again, you either need the plastic one for the Axis type DBM, about $15 or you need the all metal one and it's all metal magazine for the "traditional" mag system, about $120 for the set.)

Clear? As mud, maybe?

corelokt
12-23-2014, 03:50 PM
That does clear things up, thanks.
Even though I purchased my TH recently brand new, the manufacture date was 2012.
Maybe I'll get lucky and already have it.

corelokt
12-23-2014, 04:25 PM
It does infact have the removable magazine retainer!
I guess all I need to do now is order the stock.
That's weird about the barrel though, my frieand has the same weapon in the regular 270 and even he say's the 270wsm barrel is thicker.

foxx
12-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Good, about the magazine retainer thingy.

As for the barrel, I don't know if the WSM's are thicker for some reason. I heve never seen one, I guess. I know the shank (threaded portion that goes into the action) is larger, but I did not think the overall barrel was any dfferent. In any event, i's not as thick, I am sure, as the varmint barrels, and Boyds only offers 2 different channels. So if the "factory barrel channel" is not big enough, you'll have to open it up with sand paper wrapped around a wood dowel or deep socket socket