PDA

View Full Version : McGowen, Krieger or Criterion barrel for a model 10 build...

Stecz20
12-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Building a model 10' nothing special, 26 inch heavy bull barrel fluted with a threaded end..... Plan on a jp break, choate tactical stock, not sure of bi pod yet.... Leupold lr/t 10x40..... My question to you guys is who do you suggest for a barrel.. I've never had a custom barrel done before.... Do you guys have any experience with these guys?

scooterf79
12-22-2014, 01:17 AM
I did my first build with a Criterion and Ive been extremely pleased. I built a 280AI and Ive had several groups in the .3s with very little load development. Jim @ NSS is great to deal with. I had to wait about 20 weeks but depending on what you're wanting he may have it in stock. I have a McGowen on the way from Jim @ Apache gun works and cant wait to try it out. I would recommend talking to him before you order also. They're all good barrels so I dont think you'll be disappointed with any of them. Good luck and keep us posted.
Scooter

short round
12-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Krieger, if things have not changed, do not do prefits. With cost of barrel & threading & chambering is going to cost twice as much as McGowen, Criterion, Shilen.

stomp442
12-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Criterion is a sister company of Krieger. Them or Mcgowen are great barrels.

Stecz20
12-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Have emails out to everyone.... Mcgowen got back to me in less than 24 hours.... I like that....

barrel-nut
12-22-2014, 11:28 PM
You can't go wrong with either Jim at Northland (Criterion) or Dennis at McGowen Outlet. Both stand-up guys. Both great products. Order one from each lol.
ETA- if you want to get in touch with Jim, phone is the best way. Leave a message if necessary, he will call you back.

Stecz20
12-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Decided to go with McGowen.... Dan has gotten back to me within hours of each email and they seem they can do everything I need... Pretty excited for this build... I have the donor action off the model 10 coming after the holidays.. Found a rifle that has never been fired for a very good price.. Merry Christmas to me.... Been a tough year so, I thought would treat myself.... Merry Christmas guys...

Uncle H
12-27-2014, 01:39 PM
You wont go wrong with McGowen and you wont have to wait until this summer to get your barrel either.

DeadEyeDeadly
12-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Dan called me when my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel was ready, so that I could pay for shipping. They gave me an estimate of ~ 16 weeks to complete the barrel, and it took fourteen weeks for it to arrive at my front door.