PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Close/Lift Tension Question

Pages : 1 2 [3]

mjphawk
01-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Well I finally got around to doing a chamber casting. I failed to take a picture and can post later. The results of the casting were inconclusive and inevitably I would end up with a crack or bubble in the area I wanted to look at closest (top side of chamber between neck and lands). I did the casting 3 times before I ran out of time but I would say it wasn't until the third run that I had it all figured out (heat action, pour without spilling, don't over pour, etc.). Each time I had to tap the casting out of the barrel with a wooden dowel rod. After all was said and done I threw in the towel and planned to send back.

Yesterday I went to box up the gun and make a dummy round or two to send to savage to show what the issue was. I loaded the first round which of course chambered easily (bolt close) with no marking left on projectile after ejecting. Thinking this was odd, I tried again with similar result. There was only one dummy round I loaded where I thought I felt a little extra tension upon closing the bolt but it is likely I am super sensitive at this point with all I have been through.

The only think I can figure is that there was a small burr in the chamber (theory before chamber casting) which got knocked out / broken off with the casting. I think I am just going to hold onto the gun and start some load development while keeping a VERY close eye on everything for pressure signs.

On a side note, FGMM with 168gr SMK measure from base to ogive (on my comparator) at 2.2230 which is exactly the distance I measured to the lands of my chamber and is backed up by some testing of dummy rounds. I loaded my first load workup to 2.2030 which should give me 0.02 jump. I figure I can load out closer to the lands after I know how the gun behaves at the range.

I will try and paste a picture of the chamber casting I got for anyone who is interest on Wednesday. As always, I appreciate any feedback / input and VERY much appreciate the help along the way.

Robinhood
01-19-2015, 10:30 PM
I kept going back to your die because of this:
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah131/ProneoneProneone/return/111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111_z psbf38a6fc.jpg

I was thinking the collet die was set wrong. it must of been something in the bottom of the chamber. Notice the rub on the shoulder opposite the rub on the bullet.

wedgy
01-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Can't you just take it to someone local with a bore scope ? Kind of sounds like a tooling mark/burr from the reamer.

gotcha
01-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Hawk, Sorry the results of the chamber cast were inconclusive. It isn't unusual for new factory chambers to contain burrs. Particularly on the leade to the rifling which cause bullets to "stick" in the rifling when attempting to determine seating depth. What concerns me is the potential of your chamber to be reamed off center to the bore. The lateral striations on your bullet match the 90 degree throw of your bolt handle as you noted. And the ejector spring is forcing the neck to one side of the chamber. The two striations on the bullet (different locations yet always consistently spaced) indicate a less than acceptable chambering job. However, Your problem could be exacerbated by your sizing die set up. A run-out indicator would allow you to Q.C. this part of your sizing/bullet seating operation. Meanwhile bite the bullet and send the rifle back to Savage and let them make it right........Also a cartridge head space insert would allow before and after measurements on sized cases to insure sizing/seating isn't effecting cartridge headspace. Please keep us posted:)