PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade my 7mm WSM or build another rifle?

romad97
12-19-2014, 10:03 PM
I have a savage model 16 in 7mm WSM. It is currently a stock rifle minus the wood stock I put on it. Its actually a really nice stock I purchased from Jim at NSS. I am not even sure what model it came off but, it is a blind mag with fairly nice checkering. To date I have fired exactly 5 rounds from this rifle just to make sure it would stabilize the 145gr Barnes LRX bullets I plan on shooting from it. A while back ago i ordered a rollover thumb hole stock from Kevin at stockade. At the time I was planning another build that I am now having second thoughts about. I was planning to build a 22-250 but in the meantime I have a 223AI about halfway finished already. Now that I don't really need the 22-250 I have been kicking around the idea of selling my wood stock and factory barrel on my 7mm WSM and purchasing a nice aftermarket 7mm WSM barrel and putting it in the rollover stock. I think this would make an outstanding rifle but, I also like the look and feel of the wood stock as well. I can't decide whether to upgrade my 7 or just build another rifle. What would you do?

scooterf79
12-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Well, since these guys around here got me addicted to this stuff, I'm gonna say build another lol. This way Im giving the same advice I was given. Seriously, that decision is totally up to you. My personal thoughts would be this, see if you can find a long action small shank, and that opens up lots of possibilities with calibers. You can shoot short action cartridges as well as long action ones as well. The majority of things people sell in the classifieds are small shanks so you would have alot of options in that respect. Again the decision is up to you, because once you start down this path....its endless ;). What will you do with the new rifle, target, critters big critters, how much can you afford to spend and so on. I doubt I was much help, but keep us posted on what ya decide.
Scooter

romad97
12-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Well, since these guys around here got me addicted to this stuff, I'm gonna say build another lol. This way Im giving the same advice I was given. Seriously, that decision is totally up to you. My personal thoughts would be this, see if you can find a long action small shank, and that opens up lots of possibilities with calibers. You can shoot short action cartridges as well as long action ones as well. The majority of things people sell in the classifieds are small shanks so you would have alot of options in that respect. Again the decision is up to you, because once you start down this path....its endless ;). What will you do with the new rifle, target, critters big critters, how much can you afford to spend and so on. I doubt I was much help, but keep us posted on what ya decide.
Scooter

Well this is a good idea except the stock I have coming is inlet for a CF SA. I am not wealthy by any means but, I can afford to build another rifle without too much financial stress. If I do decide to build another rifle I have been thinking about a 6.5 creed fairly heavily. My plan with the 7mm WSM was to build a really nice elk gun. One of these days tagging a nice bull elk is on my list of things to do. I am intrigued by long range hunting and figured the 7mm WSM would be a fairly capable cartridge for this task. Like i said, the wood has a nice look and feel to it but, obviously synthetic holds up better to weather and elements.

scooterf79
12-20-2014, 09:59 AM
The 7wsm would be a dandy elk cartridge. I have a big soft spot for the 7mms. I really like them. Shooting the high BC bullets like the berger vlds and the like, the 7wsm would be a good long range rifle. I like the synthetic stocks for my hunting rifle for the very same reason. I dont have any 6.5s but I've heard nothing but good about them. Well....since you've already got the stock on the way..you'll "need" to build on a SA now lol. I think the 6.5 creed would be a nice project.
Scooter