PDA

View Full Version : 110 left handed bolt head extractor/ejector problem

AZlefty
12-19-2014, 04:20 PM
I've got an older 110CL (left handed) Series J (30-06) and my extractor and ejector are gone from the bolt head (not exactly sure what happened, but they both clearly need to be replaced). I was firing some factor xp3 rounds, and would get a few that would sound odd and the primer would blow off the round and seize on the bolt head.

I'm not too worried about replacing the extractor, spring, and ball; but what I can't figure out is the ejector.

It looks like half of the ejector may still be in the ejector hole (meaning, it may have broken off?), and I can't get the ejector pin to budge from one side, and I can't see/feel any of it from the half-moon side, so I don't know if the pin is seized/busted as well.

Any help would be appreciated....

LongRange
12-19-2014, 05:54 PM
take the bolt head and try soaking it in a carbon remover solvent or some type of cleaner and dig around in the hole with a needle...if you were blowing primers its most likely the ejector pin hole has carbon build up in it. i had the same problem when i blew primers out of the pockets in my 300 win mag,broke the ejector and the back part of it was stuck in the hole.

also i wouldnt shoot anymore of that ammo if i was you...also look closely at the hole in the bolt head and make sure the firing pin hole isnt worn out.

keeki
12-19-2014, 05:59 PM
May have just compressed that spring. Once it gets hot, kinda loses its spring

AZlefty
12-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks. I'll soak it and keep trying.

Thought about just buying a new bolt head but those seem pretty rare for left handed models.

LongRange
12-20-2014, 01:27 PM
You can get them here http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1291

jonbearman
12-20-2014, 05:16 PM
I am not sure of what type of ammo you are shooting but it sounds like it was oversized inducing a headspace problem and would never shoot that stuff again until you call the manufacturer to find out what is wrong with it.

Robinhood
12-20-2014, 07:50 PM
You have a serious issue. If you are not qualified to diagnose it, trying to get your education on the internet may have Darwinian effects.

short round
12-21-2014, 04:51 AM
Sounds like over pressure, which will blow out extractor & jam ejector to rear. The ejector is most likely still all there, but jammed into spring, in this condition it can be very difficult to remove ejector, the ejector may have to be drilled out. Two things that may have caused the over pressure is that ammo loaded to hot & bore that is due for some some serious cleaning.

AZlefty
12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
You can get them here http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1291

Thanks, though it doesn't look like they have them in -06.

AZlefty
12-22-2014, 02:48 PM
I am not sure of what type of ammo you are shooting but it sounds like it was oversized inducing a headspace problem and would never shoot that stuff again until you call the manufacturer to find out what is wrong with it.

It was factory load Winchester XP3 rounds. Of the ~60 I shot over the last couple of years, two seemed to have some issue...

You have a serious issue. If you are not qualified to diagnose it, trying to get your education on the internet may have Darwinian effects.

Yeah, since it's not appearing to be as relatively simple as an extractor/ejector replacement, I'm certainly going to take it in somewhere.

Sounds like over pressure, which will blow out extractor & jam ejector to rear. The ejector is most likely still all there, but jammed into spring, in this condition it can be very difficult to remove ejector, the ejector may have to be drilled out. Two things that may have caused the over pressure is that ammo loaded to hot & bore that is due for some some serious cleaning.

Thanks.

Guess it's gun shop time....