PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake on Hog Hunter

Pages : 1 [2]

wingspar
01-14-2015, 03:28 AM
Are the barrel threads on the Hog Hunter 5/8-24?

I can not find the info in the manual.

D.ID
01-14-2015, 04:37 AM
Yes, They are 5/8x24.

wingspar
01-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Yes, They are 5/8x24.

Thank you.

greyghost
02-01-2015, 11:35 PM
The Guy who makes my brakes is High Tec Customs in Colo Spgs CO, His brakes are a 65% reduction, They work I had one on a 300WM and it was a heavy rifle bull barrel it shot like a 223 I kid you not, I have one on my SIG 716 DMR and it barely moves when you shoot it. My bushmaster in 556 moves a whole lot more. Loud yes, But it was nothing to shoot 100 rounds of 300WM at a time.

Jimeg
02-06-2015, 02:46 PM
I'm not a fan of recoil and only an occasional hunter, but I do like to shoot. I recently purchased a Model 10FP-SR in 308; added a Boyd's stock and a JEC muzzle brake. The rifle is about 11 lbs. with scope. I would not want to carry it all day on a hunt, but it is very comfortable to shoot 40 or 50 rounds at the range. I expected the brake to make it much louder, but was surprised that I really haven't noticed a significant increase with the JEC brake. I also have a 7mm-08 with a light weight stock and sporter barrel. The 7-08 has much more recoil than the bigger 308 with the heavy barrel and brake.

Newsshooter
02-06-2015, 05:07 PM
I'm a big fan of Ross Schuler's brakes, I have two, cheapest you can find too. http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm Mine were timed but you could do it with crush washer too.

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/ if a friend of Ross's, both work well.

wingspar
02-11-2015, 09:35 PM
I’m going to try a mercury recoil device before I order a muzzle brake. Guy at the LGS swears by the mercury recoil devices. It gets installed in the stock.

Newsshooter
02-11-2015, 11:41 PM
My 12 year old nephew was able to watch a steel ram at 500 meters fall in the scope on his third shot with my 6.5 creedmoor with a brake. He weighs all of 65 lbs. :) He'd been shooting the steel chickens at 200 meters with his 10/22 and wanted to try my rifle so I dialed the scope for the rams, and told him which one to shoot. He laid down behind the rifle with a bipod and rear bag, lined it up and pulled the trigger. Knocked over the rams with his first two shots as well, just didn't see it fall in the scope till the third one. Maybe that gives you a better idea how effective a brake can be when shooting.

wingspar
02-12-2015, 01:24 AM
My 12 year old nephew was able to watch a steel ram at 500 meters fall in the scope on his third shot with my 6.5 creedmoor with a brake. He weighs all of 65 lbs. :) He'd been shooting the steel chickens at 200 meters with his 10/22 and wanted to try my rifle so I dialed the scope for the rams, and told him which one to shoot. He laid down behind the rifle with a bipod and rear bag, lined it up and pulled the trigger. Knocked over the rams with his first two shots as well, just didn't see it fall in the scope till the third one. Maybe that gives you a better idea how effective a brake can be when shooting.

I’ve watched a lot of good videos on muzzle breaks and done some reading on them, and I know that properly designed ones can certainly help with recoil, but if I can avoid the extra noise and flying dirt by finding an alternative, it’s worth a shot to try it. If it doesn’t work well enough, then I will get a muzzle brake.

If you watch the video I posted a link to in post #11 of this thread, it will become obvious to anyone that a good muzzle break is worth it’s weight in gold.

I just ordered a B&C Medalist stock today, and the extra weight of that stock will probably help with recoil some.

sbarkowski
02-16-2015, 07:12 PM
I just finished a .308 Hog Hunter build in an MDT LSS chassis and havn't decided if I am going with a brake or not. As it is I don't find recoil to be an issue. It just seems unfinished without one. Keep us posted on what you end up with and how it performs.

Newsshooter
02-16-2015, 09:39 PM
I didn't put a brake on my rifles for recoil but to help stay on target during recoil, both to see my hits and for quick followup shots when shooting steel under time constraints.

NM2011CTSV
05-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Has anyone seen the MegaMax brake by Dean in New Zealand? Any feedback on that?

My other option is the M11 severe duty by Precision Armament.

also, any reviews of that? Both on a 300wm?