PDA

View Full Version : Savage 14/114

Bigeclipse
12-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Does the Savage 14/114 wood stock come with pillars?

bootsmcguire
12-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Yes I believe they do.

Bigeclipse
12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
can anyone else comment on if this is fact or not?

jpdown
12-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Yes, the 14/114 American Classic stocks do have metal inserts similar to the plastic stocks. I would not call them true bedding pillars. But they do stop the action bolts from compressing the wood.

foxx
12-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Yes, the 14/114 American Classic stocks do have metal inserts similar to the plastic stocks. I would not call them true bedding pillars. But they do stop the action bolts from compressing the wood.

Not trying to be a smart-a@@, but what more do you want from a pillar?

Robinhood
12-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Not trying to be a smart-a@@, but what more do you want from a pillar?

Contact with the action? :o

foxx
12-20-2014, 01:38 AM
LOL
Okay, me too!

Bigeclipse
12-20-2014, 11:16 AM
They don't contact the action? If not I don't see how they prevent wood compression...

foxx
12-20-2014, 11:21 AM
They don't contact the action? If not I don't see how they prevent wood compression...

Sometimes I've wondered if the plastic stocks' pillars are long enough... If the wood ones aren't then I would replace them because they might help against compression, but not absolutely.

jpdown
12-20-2014, 05:59 PM
The metal sleeve inserts are usually flush with the bottom of the stock holes but most are a few millimeters short of making contact with the bottom of the action. I use to replace them with aftermarket pillars. After doing this on several Savage factory wood stocks, I decided that was a lot of unnecessary work and expense. Now, I just remove some wood to expose the top of the metal sleeve and fully bed the action and recoil lug with Devcon plastic steel epoxy. That will fix any chance of the metal inserts moving.

Bigeclipse
12-20-2014, 09:52 PM
The metal sleeve inserts are usually flush with the bottom of the stock holes but most are a few millimeters short of making contact with the bottom of the action. I use to replace them with aftermarket pillars. After doing this on several Savage factory wood stocks, I decided that was a lot of unnecessary work and expense. Now, I just remove some wood to expose the top of the metal sleeve and fully bed the action and recoil lug with Devcon plastic steel epoxy. That will fix any chance of the metal inserts moving.

I have not attempted to bed a rifle yet but have read and seen the steps on youtube. The one thing I can't figure out is I see people using play dough to fill in holes and spaces they Do not want bedding compound to go into such as the trigger assembly hole...but how does one remove the play dough after?

foxx
12-20-2014, 10:18 PM
LOL sometimes painstakingly! I 'd recommend plumber's putty with a little bit of veg oil mixed into it. It doesn't dry out and it will hold shape better and clean up easier. I use dental picks sometimes. It's never in a place that you can't access once the bedding sets and you disassemble everything.