PDA

View Full Version : Why not an Axis?

Corey Schwanz
12-18-2014, 03:58 PM
So here in Indiana, the hunting regulations will likely be changing for next year and most common center fire cartridges will be available to deer hunt with. I've got a Rem 700 22-250 that Im planning on selling to buy a hunting rifle, likely a .308 to hunt with. The Axis is very appealing and very affordable which I like. I went to the local Gander Mtn to play with one and it felt "cheap" (not the best wording, but that's all I can think of). I asked to handle a model 11 Hunter and it felt light years better to me, just from cycling the action, etc. I'm wanting a gun to hold MOA, or preferably better, out to 200-300 yards. I can't shoot much further than that where we hunt. Would an Axis get the job done or am I better off spending a bit more money on a model 10/11?

stomp442
12-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Both work great and are easily one moa rifles. The axis does have an aftermarket Boyds stock available but by the time you do that you just as well have bought the model 10. The model 10 allows more aftermarket support if you so choose down the road.

jersurf101
12-18-2014, 11:12 PM
I have a model 11 trophy in .308 and an axis in .223. The bolt and smoothness of the action is a huge step up in the model 11. The Axis bolt is much "cheaper" feeling and harder to work, not to mention they are all long actions. That said the axis is a shooter and a keeper. I just prefer the 11 or 10 actions.

upSLIDEdown
12-19-2014, 01:38 AM
If the 'cheapness' feeling doesn't bother you, and Axis will serve you well. I have one in 308 and shoots half minute all day, and I've shot it out to 1100 yards. It's now in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, but I had no trouble shooting it to 1k yards in the factory stock. I just wanted to upgrade.

Robinhood
12-19-2014, 07:34 AM
The thing I didn't like about the one I "had" was the trigger.

upSLIDEdown
12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
That's a quick and easy fix. Spring swap will get it to 3-3.5lbs with no other work.

tsbrewers
01-05-2015, 11:06 PM
For me I wanted a good shooting, cheap gun for bigger game hunting. I got my axis 30-06 for $230 after rebates with a scope (junk) and it fit the bill perfectly. I souped up the crappy stock some, fixed the trigger, dropped on a better scope and rings, and I have a nice shooting gun that doesn't bother me a bit to drag it through the mud, push brush out of the way, etc. Sometimes it is nice to not have to worry about carrying a beautiful gun.

diesel
02-16-2015, 02:44 AM
bought a 243 when they were still called "Edge"(know how long ago that was) done just a little trigger work(spring and a little shimming) and it will always be under .7 MOA with any of my loads and 2X7 leopold on Weaver bases and rings. nice an light and has stopped anything that I have ever pointed it at. don't have 1k or more invested either. couple of hundred bucks tack driver. love her even though she's a little homely.

don lynch
02-20-2015, 03:56 PM
I have an axis in 22-250 and it shoots like a dream, wouldn't trade it for nothin. I also have an edge in 223 and that also shoots great. I put rifle basics triggers in both. they may not look like million dollar rifles, but the only thing that counts is the holes down range. the coyotes I've encountered have not complained. don

Berserker
02-23-2015, 08:54 AM
I didn't buy it, but the AXIS 2 XP, bolt feels alot smoother then then standard Axis, and has Accutrigger. Wasn't parkenizing, which seems to be the difference in stiff bolts. Though other tham in the store, I am not sure you notice. Didn't feel different then my 116. Bought a Remington 770 for a new hunter. Bolt drove me nuts when I was sitting in the camp. Firing it, never noticed.