PDA

View Full Version : F-Class rifle- Buy or Build

Corey Schwanz
12-18-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm looking to get into F-Class shooting next year, specifically F/TR. I've shot F-class a couple times borrowing equipment and l want to take the plunge myself. I've been torn between buying a factory gun like the 12 F/TR and just shooting it for a year or two to really get my feet wet. I've seen where some people consider it luck of the draw as to what kind of barrel you get, some are shooters and some aren't. The other option is build a rifle by buying a target action or other rifle, and selling off the parts then add a new barrel and stock. I like the idea of doing this because I can be a little more picky about the parts I get for it. The issue is gunsmithing costs and delays getting parts. This is something I'd theoretically like to get done in a short time this winter so I'm ready to hit the ground running when the snow melts in the spring.

Buy or build?

psharon97
12-18-2014, 11:34 AM
The advantage of buying a factory rifle is, you have everything to start shooting. I haven't seen many Savage rifles that won't shoot. You may have to tinker with a load, but the rifles will shoot. Also, it is easier to sell a factory rifle than a custom built rifle.

Building a rifle also has its advantages. You will get a higher quality barrel, but expect a 4 to 6 month wait if not longer, unless someone already has the barrel in stock. Also, you pick what hardware you put on the rifle. If it were me, I would buy a stock rifle, and learn the sport with it. Then I would upgrade where needed.

LongRange
12-18-2014, 10:57 PM
If you have the money i say build....jim briggs has the target actions and barrels in stock..go to stockys stocks and pick up a 4.4" fully adjustable blind mag stock add the center screw with a pillar..bed the action...you will end up doing this anyway if your going to shoot F class so youll save money if you just do it to start.

You can also save a grip of cash by becoming a paid member....always actions and stocks for sale in the classifieds here on the site.

Corey Schwanz
12-22-2014, 10:35 AM
I guess I'm leaning towards the factory route at this time. My main issue with a build is timing. Waiting on parts and gunsmithing can get pretty long pretty fast. I want to do something shortly after SHOT show and be ready come springtime.

JenZ
02-03-2015, 10:20 PM
I just shot my first F T/R match a couple weeks ago with the Savage Model 12 F T/R .308. I have been shooting only 5 months and I shot a 587 - 26X at 600 yrds. Right out of the box it would shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. We bedded the lug bolt, put on a better recoil pad (it was bruising me) and I tested different loads for rifle to find what I wanted and what it liked. It is now shooting smaller than .25 MOA at 100 yds and less than 1/2 MOA at 600. Two reasons, one my shooting has improved and 2 the rifle is just that good! Very affordable, shoots as well as much more expensive rigs and the savings can be used on optics.

Robinhood
02-04-2015, 02:10 AM
This is something I'd theoretically like to get done in a short time this winter so I'm ready to hit the ground running when the snow melts in the spring.

Buy a used rifle with low round count. Consider a Remington clone.

If you do buy a factory target rifle, don't chunk the barrels to fast. I recently shot a high master score at 600 with a factory LRPV 223 7 twist.

Choose a stock that sits well in a rear bag.
Choose a nice rear bag and bipod. Sinclair is the best for the money IMHO. The SEB Gen II Joypod is a tops.
Get the best scope you can. Your not hitting plates or torsos, get high power with the best clarity on the highest power. 50X means nothing if it gets fuzzy at 20 X. FFP or mil dots are not really needed in this game.
Observe the bench rest guys reloading. Use Winchester or Lapua brass.
Using wind flags shoot a 22lr at 100+ to learn how to read the wind.

Twinsen
02-04-2015, 05:14 AM
Buy a used rifle with low round count. Consider a Remington clone.

Heresy! I'm calling the Savage church elders and letting them know of this incident.

Robinhood
02-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Just following the footsteps of Sir Isaac.