PDA

View Full Version : Apache Barrels in 300 Win Mag

DrThunder88
12-17-2014, 04:22 AM
Does anyone know if Apache Gun Works chambers barrels in 300 Winchester Magnum? I see on the Reamers page an entry for "300 Winchester TACTICAL MATCH", but I don't know enough about the cartridge to say if that means 300 Win Mag.

I did try using the email form on the website a few days ago, but I know Jim is probably quite busy!

upSLIDEdown
12-17-2014, 04:35 AM
One of his auctions has a list of chamberings offered, and the bottom says COMING SOON, 300 Winchester Magnum Target. Maybe that's the same thing as the tactical match?

A match chamber is typically on the smaller size of SAAMI specs, and/or has a tight neck, possibly requiring neck turning. You'll have to get up with Jim to see what the specs on his reamer are to determine these things though (assuming that is a version of 300WM chambering). Shoot him a PM on here, he usually replies in a timely manner.

Apache
12-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Yes, this is PT&G's answer for a match reamer for the 300 Winchester Magnum. It has much better dimensions for accuracy than a SAAMI spec'd reamer.

Most of the older cartridges (300 Win Mag, 308 Winchester, 30-06, Ect....) were not spec'd with accuracy primarily in mind. For instance the 308 SAAMI reamer has a throat diameter that you could drive a truck through....it's spec'd at .310. That .308 diameter bullet has all kinds of room to freely move around before it engages the rifling. I know a difference of .002 seems small, but in the accuracy world, it's a HUGE amount of play. The neck diameter was just as bad.

The more modern SAAMI cartridges are spec'd tighter but even then some of them could use even tighter dimensions when it comes to accuracy.

If you want an education on some of this, look at the SAAMI website dimensions and then go to some of the more accuracy minded websites for a comparison. It can be a real eye opener!

BTW.....I do have the reamer now. I just haven't updated my reamer list on my Ebay forms that I use to sell there.

WYcoyote
12-17-2014, 11:19 PM
I have a Bartlein barrel that Jim chambered with that .300 WM reamer. Although I've been pretty busy this fall, I did try a few loads and the best luck so far was 210gr Nosler LR Accubonds shooting in the .6"s. Very few combos shot so far and the best is yet to come I'm sure.
Have not done any neck turning or measuring yet.
Happy with the work, thanks Jim.

DrThunder88
12-18-2014, 03:44 AM
Thanks, Jim! I'm now very excited about this project.