PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x47 Lapua

RyanMeyerhofer
12-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Anyone out there have any load data for 139gr Lapua or 140gr Berger VLD bullets, im running Lapua brass and CCI benchrest primers... anyone have any sugestions for powder and other primers? im looking at H4350 and IMR4451 when it comes out this year RL15 is a good one too i hear

ngoforth
12-16-2014, 03:07 PM
The berger manual has 6.5x47 lapua data. It lists a start of 31.5 grains of RL-15 to a max of 35.2 with a 90% fill ratio for the 140 vld. Also a starting load of h4350 at 35.0 to a max of 38.9 with a 100% fill ratio for the 140 vld. I have tried h4350 with bergers 140 grain match BT long range target bullet with good results but I do not use it since I cannot find any. The 123 scenars also shoot very well for me with RL-15 and varget, lapua brass and BR-4 primers. I do not have any experience with the 139 scenars. The 123's worked well, so I didn't bother trying the 139's. I'am running a 1x8 twist criterion barrel.

Patch700
12-16-2014, 04:32 PM
If you want to utilize the 140 class bullets you would be best served to choose a powder that will give you close to 100 percent case capacity , the RL15 burn rate did not work well for me in an 8 twist... As mentioned above a powder like H4350 would be a better choice but of course this is not written in stone.

Another good choice is RL17 if you don't mind using double based powders , also VV N-150 and VV N-550 (this is the powder of choice for me in the last one I did)

I found excellent velocity with the N-550 and although I am a full grain over Bergers book max it is a load that is still giving me good brass life and also stable in temperatures ranging from +30 Celsius to -20 Celsius. Which was quite surprising to me as 550 is a double based powder so I assumed it would be all over the place with regards to temp sensitivity.

Part of the reason I was able to achieve the load noted above was due to the fact I had Dave Kiff at PTG build my reamer to a custom spec with regards to throat length, It allowed me to have the bullets seated quite long before touching the lands so as to get the last bit of powder capacity out of the case.

If you do not have a copy of bergers book then all you need to do is drop their technical support an email asking for specific data for that cartridge using the 130 and 140 class bullets and they will send it to you..

With respect to primers I use the cci small rifle BR and have had great success with it , some others have also had great luck using cci small rifle mag primers. Both the BR and the Mag primer have a thick cup so they will take pressure quite nicely.

If you are planning on using this in a savage I would strongly suggest you take a close look at your firing pin protrusion and keep it to the lower end of the spectrum (.040" max) as the pressure this round can handle might give you false cratering signs should your pin depth be in the .055-.060" range which is quite probable if the bolt has never been adjusted.

Good luck.

gotcha
12-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Experience with my 6.5X47L parallels Patch700. Using an 8 twst Criterion I couldn't get the heal of 139's & 140's sufficiently out of the donut zone. I ended up opting for the Berger 130 VLD and RL-17. Since most matches I shoot are @ 600 yds. I stick with 123 Bergers or Scenars with RL-15. I tested H-4350 with the 123's with little luck (your results might differ) Have had good luck with both the CCI-400 & BR-4........ I also adjusted firing pin protrusion to .040" It didn't get rid of all the cratering but, a noticeable improvement. Given the velocity limitations of the 139, 140 class bullets I think the 130's are a better choice for LR. JMHO

Patch700
12-16-2014, 07:22 PM
If you know or find out at a later date that you do indeed have a short throat ( under .160" would be borderline too short for 140 class bullets) there is an option available to you , you can purchase a UNI Throater from PTG in your specific bore size (.264" in your case) .
With this tool you can lengthen the throat area incrementally until you have the desired throat length. If you are not comfortable doing this (it is done by hand with a T handle ) then any competent smith should be able to do this in short order as the procedure can be done with rifle assembled.

As mentioned above , when you get the base of the bullet below shoulder neck junction you can open a can of worms with regards to neck tension not to mention wasting available case capacity.

This is primarily why most people who play with this cartridge have dismal results with the heavy bullets despite going with an 8 twist and will go back to either a 130 vld or with the 123 scenar otm. The shorter bullet when seated to touch lands generally leaves the bullet up out of the neck shoulder junction.

Good luck

CharlieNC
12-21-2014, 07:06 PM
I like Power Pro 2000MR; it gives me the best velocity without pressure signs so far. Good results with the Berger 140 Hunting VLD in my 8 twist, jumping .010", over 40.5gr for 2900fps. Unfortunately not much info is published for this powder, so you will need to work up carefully. For targets I push the 123 Scenar with 41.5 gr to get 3050 fps. Love the 6.5x47!