PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Oil in Barrel ???

Fotheringill
12-16-2014, 12:52 PM
I just ordered a Savage 12 and went to the Savage sight and perused the FAQ's. The posted break in procedure for a new centerfire rifle recommends to put a patch with 2 drops of oil in it through the barrel (among other procedures) and fire wet, not dry.

Is this correct? I been learned to fire a dry barrel only.

LINK t Savage FAQ's

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entries/23573147-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-

Fotheringill

Patch700
12-16-2014, 01:33 PM
In the great scope of things a patch with 2 drops of oil spread throughout the length of the barrel is minimal.... I always leave my barrels soaking wet with Kroil but indeed dry them out before use , having said that I do not dry them out to the point where I can not even smell the remnants of oil on the patch so I would say there is still a minimum amount left in the bore even after dry patching.

keeki
12-16-2014, 02:37 PM
I read that. So does that mean that savage does step 1 and step 2? I've bought rifles new from them that came with a 3 shot group that the gun fired. So either they done 1 and 2 or they're full of it

JTCrl
12-16-2014, 02:39 PM
The last step in my cleaning procedure is multiple strokes with a fairly well oil soaked patch. Prior to the next shooting session I use a dry patch leaving a light coat of oil as it sounds like Patch700 does. I would never shoot a perfectly dry barrel.

Fotheringill
12-16-2014, 03:57 PM
And herein lies the rub, so to say. Fire dry, fire lightly oiled.

If it was a $300 rifle, I wouldn't worry too much, but it ain't.

Robinhood
12-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Most barrels are made out of a handfull of alloys. There are several ideas on barrel break in most of them have to do with intervals of cleaning and differ on the condition of the barrel on firing of the next round. Trying to get to the point of low or no copper buildup is the ultimate goal and might include the slightest of burnishing the bore. I really dont see the big deal if the barrel has a minute amount of oil or solvent in there as long as it is not puddled up. Copper is skidding across steel. After the bullet passes there wont be much left to talk about.

Patch700
12-16-2014, 07:32 PM
if a dry patch was run down a wet bore , and said dry patch came out wet it would be fair to say the bore is still wet until the dry patch comes out relatively dry to the touch.... I wouldn't over think this too much.. Incidentally if you want to see something equally dangerous as a sopping wet bore , that is to have a chamber that is left wet from the cleaning process .

I have seen rifles where the person was baffled as to why his gun was having periodic over pressure signs with a load that was at one time deemed "OK"... It was a wet chamber not properly mopped out after cleaning the bore.

JTCrl
12-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Exactly. Too much oil will build up like a wave in front of the bullet, but none is not good either. In my case the first shot is around 100fps slow and "out of the group". Subsequent shots generally group well.

If we're talking about a hunting rifle I like to take it out and "check the zero" with a few rounds then clean it when the hunt is over. Lube in the barrel will change the POI.

Bigeclipse
12-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I just ordered a Savage 12 and went to the Savage sight and perused the FAQ's. The posted break in procedure for a new centerfire rifle recommends to put a patch with 2 drops of oil in it through the barrel (among other procedures) and fire wet, not dry.

Is this correct? I been learned to fire a dry barrel only.

LINK t Savage FAQ's

https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entries/23573147-What-is-the-barrel-break-in-procedure-

Fotheringill

if I put my rifle away for extended periods I will actually put a very wet patch of oil through the barrel. But before use I will use several dry patches to clean out the oil. if it is a hunting rifle, I will do this and then shoot a few shots to foul the barrel. the barrel will remain like this throughout hunting season, which when its over I will then clean and re-oil the barrel.

efm77
01-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Patch700 is right about having a wet chamber. A minor amount or a light film in the chamber won't hurt anything I don't think. But if it has a thick film of oil or grease in it you can have major problems. This keeps the brass from being able to grip the chamber wall which induces more bolt thrust on the locking lugs. Like I said, if a small amount were left behind, like a light film, I think it can still grip the chamber wall enough not to cause any problems. If not, I think you would hear about a lot more shooters damaging their actions, or hurting themselves, or worse. But indeed a thick coating in the chamber is a big no no as the case won't be able to grip the chamber wall.

FW Conch
01-08-2015, 06:57 AM
"Hog Wash"

JMHO....Just Sayin :-))

Edit...to be more civil, if I don't need oil in the barrel for the second and subsukent shoots, why do I need it for the first shoot. I whipe everything dry and store it that way. "And No Rust"! :-))

JTCrl
01-08-2015, 11:56 AM
The idea behind having a thin coat of oil for the first shot is that there is no copper or powder residue to lubricate the bore as there is on subsequent shots.

Oil in the chamber is a different issue. Different cartridge shapes pose different issues but it is generally a good practice to completely dry the chamber. For example, when shooting the 303 British with it's relatively tapered case it is very important that there be no lubricant in the chamber or on the case.

efm77
01-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Agreed JTCrl. I usually spray a little gun scrubber (degreaser) on a mop that fits the chamber tightly enough and run it through the chamber before shooting or hunting to make sure the chamber is dry. I do lightly oil my bolt though so inevitably a very small amount likely transfers on to the top round in the magazine as the bolt slides over it during cycling. But I doubt that's enough to cause any harm.

J.Baker
01-09-2015, 09:47 AM
I read that. So does that mean that savage does step 1 and step 2? I've bought rifles new from them that came with a 3 shot group that the gun fired. So either they done 1 and 2 or they're full of it

Savage both proof tests and live fire function tests every rifle before it leaves. They don't run a single patch through them before or after shooting. The link above, as it clearly states, is Precision Shooting Magazine's recommended barrel break in procedure.

As for the two drops and "wet" firing, two drops isn't going to leave your bore wet at all - just a very minimal coating of oil (the dry spots on the patch will wipe off any excess).

There's no right or wrong way to break in a barrel and people waste more time and energy trying to figure out a way to complicate things rather than just going out and shooting the darn thing. If you're worried about it, stop and clean it every 15-20 rounds. Personally I don't clean a bore until the accuracy starts to decline or I know I won't be taking it out again for awhile.

I've never, EVER - not once in my entire 40 years - seen, heard of or read about someone ruining or even degrading a barrel because they didn't break it in using some complicated, convoluted process.

keeki
01-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm with ya on that, I'll clean it when it gets dirty and it's not grouping like it should.

efm77
01-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm with ya on that J. Baker. I've never bought in to the whole break in process either. To me it kinda takes the fun out of it when I'm worried about cleaning it in between every shot or every 5-10 shots until the patch comes out spotless. I'll clean mine in between range sessions after I get back home and sometimes then don't do it. Whatever I'm hunting with for the season doesn't get the barrel cleaned after checking zero until the season is over.